1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LDS: The Fankencab with it all?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kroy, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    So I'm in the market for a good cab. This is my first "big boy" cab but I'm lucky enough to be able to spend a decent bit of scratch on it. I play in a rock band (bluesy-modern kinda sound) but I also am a big fan of funk and percussive playing and the guys want me to work it into their sound.

So I kind of need an amp that'll do it all. Good thumpy lows, distinct highs, and cutting mids when I need them. I don't ask for too much do I?

My original plan was to get a head and a 4x10 cab and then add a 1x15 later for more rumble. Then I saw this:
    LDS1x12-2x10.jpg
    For those playing the home game, that's 1x12, 2x10s, and a 6.5. Now, I'm no Ampologist but this looks like it'll do everything I want it to in one package. I need opinions. Luckily LDS is near me so I'll be heading up there (today probably) to see if they have one of these sitting around I can play. If not I'll just talk to them about it and play whatever they do have sitting around. I know LDS has a really good reputation on the boards here so I'm really looking forward to checking it out.

Any opinions/tirades are welcome. I'm looking to spend about $700 for everything to start. Which means this cab is a little pricey, but if I can get it and not have to add on to it later, I'm willing to go that route. Oh, also I'll be playing a Schecter Custom-5 with active EMG pups.

2. The LDS cabs are great, and are great value for the dollar.

The good news about working with Don is that the sky is the limit... you can design anything you want, with any components you want (B&C Neo's, proprietary Eminence drivers, long throw woofers, soft dome tweeters, horns crossed over high and low, etc.). He also has a
    wonderful 'truck bed' type spray on finish that is just great.

The band news.... just like ordering up a custom designed bass, you never quite know what it's going to sound like until it's done. I've never heard an LDS cab that sounded bad (and I've heard a bunch), but I have heard some designs that sound AMAZING and some designs that sound 'just OK'.

I know there is a 112/210 with tweeter in the shop right now (I think that's what it is). I'll head over there soon and bang on it for you.

What head will you be using with it?

3. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    LDS cabs are great.

out of curiosity how much experience do you have playing out? how much will you be playing out with the new cab?

I've used 2x10s, 4x10s, 1x15 and a combination of the 3.

from what i've found a 4x10 is the way to go. you can find or have built a 4x10 built that will have plenty of boom, articulate highs, and volume.

i sometimes pair a 1x15 up with my 4x10s but it's usaully for fun and not necessity...

a 4x10 will cover most small to medium sized bars...and bigger music clubs...plus and bigger places will have sound themselves that will cover the room for you...

if you are going to be gigging a lot size, weight, and number of cabs should be considered heavily...

i have a 4x10 (basically an LDS) that is 1,000 watts and it gets low and loud as hell....

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I placed an order about 2 weeks ago for an LDS 3-way 1x12". It's a 12", a midrange driver and a tweeter all in one cab. It should be a nice, tight balance for 6 string and EUB.

5. 15's = life

6. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I think I remember reading about you ordering this in another thread. I'm definitely interested to get your take on it: weight, sound, price....I've been wondering about a 3-way 12".

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've got a couple of the AMAZING ones! A 2 x 10 and 2 x12. I have heard nothing but rave reviews from the guys who have owned his multiple driver cabs (15, 2 X 6, horn) for instance. I think most of the OK" ones have been the 8" cabs which get rave reviews from the EUB guys (the dark side) and mixed reviews from electric guys. I know of one case where someone asked Don to defy physics with a to thin 2 x 12 cab that didn't deliver enough low end but both of my cabs are exceptional.

8. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Thanks for all the input, I've yet to hear any bad reviews of LDS cabs either. After playing the one mentioned above I think I know why. I was able to go in and squat for about two hours and play several different amp configs. Here's what I played and my impressions.

Eden Nemesis 2x12 combo: This is what I played first, it sounded good, but I'm not really looking for another combo even though this one has an external speaker out. I want a head/cab config.

I played three different heads through the cab pictured above (1x12, 2x10, 1x6.5, tweeter).
    GK Backline 600: This was really punchy and pretty mid heavy which I don't mind, decent wattage too (300W, the LDS cab was 4ohms).
    Hartke 2500?: I forget the specific model number but it was their '300 dollar head' and it ran at 200W. This amp had a 9 band graphic EQ which I liked and I felt like I could sculpt my tone a little more with this one.
    Ashdown Mag 300: I ended up playing this amp the longest, it seemed to have the most gutsy sound. Only a five band EQ and I had to finagle with it quite a bit to get a sound I was really happy with. One odd thing we found out about this cab, its five band has [copied from their website] Bass +/-15dB @ 100Hz, Lo Mid +/-15dB @ 220Hz, Middle +/-15dB @ 660Hz, Hi Mid +/-15dB @ 1.6kHz, Treble +/-15dB @ 7kHz shelving, Deep +8dB @ 50Hz, Bright +10dB @ 10kHz. What was hardest to get was any real sparkle on the top end. I think the reason for that is the jump from 1.6 kHz to 7 kHz on the high EQ. That's a pretty big jump. I ended up having to wind out the high knob and engage the 'bright' button to get what I wanted. But once I found it, I didn't have to change anything to go from a chuggy eighths Malcolm Young tone to a nice scooped percussive sound for slapping and popping. That whole 'set and forget' philosophy is right up my ally so I really liked that.

Since I'm buying a head as part of this rig I'm not sure which one I'll go with yet but I certainly liked the Ashdown. Aside from that one little oddity I really liked the sound it gave me through that cab. Also it had that 'truck bed' spray on the outside and it looked tough, which is good because I'm a clutz. Thanks for the input, I'll keep everyone posted once I make a buy.

As to the gigging question, once my band starts playing out, it'll be almost every weekend so wieght and hassle are a big concern. I was thinking with this cab I could skip needing two cabs and still have something a little bigger than a 10" for rumble. Plus this one cab would be a good bit cheaper than 2 cabs down the road. If someone buys the one on the show floor before I can put money on it, I may just have Don build me one with a 15 instead of a 12. Hmmm.... might leave out the 6.5 and just go with the horn too. I feel like a kid in a store with very expensive candy.

9. I'd pass on this one.

First, the 12 and 10s mostly overlap in their range. The 12" appears to be a Beta or Delta 12 from the picture. This requires 2.1 to 5.1 cubic feet internal volume to reach its bottom range. The Delta 12 is a smaller volume, but doesn't reach down very far. This isn't useful for a 5-string.

Next, the two 10s will overpower both the woofer and the 6" driver. If these are all Eminence drivers, the 6.5" won't keep up with the pair of tens. Visualize a camel hump with a drooping bottom and top, compared to the middle.

Last, the drivers are arranged on the baffle board convenient to making them fit, not for the best sound. The horizontal layout of the 10s will produce significant combing, making response irregular depending on where the listener is located relative to the axis.

IMO, this is a hodge-podge cab that sells on visual appeal to those not understanding the mechanics of good cab design. If you can hear this first, and like it, go for it. Otherwise, I would pass in favor of optimal engineering. The ideal layout is all drivers stacked vertically.

10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm hoping I get the cab in by the 9th, since I have two gigs with the jazz band on the 10th and 11th, although I'll be playing only electric bass. It'll be a good place to test them, as the mix of a big band gets pretty thick.

11. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Thanks for the techie info. I didn't know most of that stuff. However I forgot to mention that we'd be micing my rig and running it thru our PA so volume isn't really the issue as much as getting the sound I want in case that changes anything. So do I need larger drivers to get the most out of my 5 string?

Also the sales guy (I'm bad with names) told me that they use Delta drivers unless otherwise directed. So I think all the drivers in that cab are Deltas.

12. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    It's been a few months and I highly doubt that that cab is still there. I've been thinking though, I may just have Don build me a cab with a 15, 2x10s and a horn all in one enclosure.