LDS Ultralight 4x10 & 3x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeBass, Oct 16, 2004.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Used a new prototype UL 310 on the gig last night along side my Epifani UL 310.
    It gave my Epi a run for it's money tone wise. The Epi has it's own "voice" so to speak and so does the LDS, but it is in the same ball park, hell maybe batting clean-up! It will be a serious hard choice between the two, even more now that Epifani raised their prices 20%.
    Also put the new prototype 410 UL from LDS through it's paces at the shop today and it performed amazingly.
    And any 410 that I can lift up to face level (it's around 50lbs) is killer!
    It has the same tone charactistics as the 310, but as you can guess a little louder.
    I'll post some specs and prices as they become available, but the 410 is going for around $700 to $800.
  2. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Are these long throw speakers or regular neo 10" speakers?

They sound terrific. Don knows what he's doing and builds right up there with the big boys.

3. Oh yeah, I'll vouch for the 5x8 and the 2x8 w/ the 3 sp. rack. They're wonderful sounding...and loud!
  4. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I played through a 310NYC today at the guitar show...seemed scooped to my ears. Can you comment on your experience with your 310UL? Granted a guitar show isn't the ideal listening environment, but I tried several different basses (G&L, P, Fodera) and it just seemed like I really had to dig in to get the mids to come through. Nice tight bottom end though...but it was sitting directly on the floor.

What were the differences in tone between the Epi and the LDS cab?
  5. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    I've always said that my Epi 310UL is the best sounding cab I ever played thru/owned.
    The LDS UL 410 does have a little more going on in the high mids, but that could be in part to the different high end drivers being used. I'm not sure what is in the Epi, but Don has been trying the Selinium (sp?) horns and they seem to go a little lower than the one in the Epifani (not sure what the specs are on the one in the LDS is).
    I like the Epifani for it's smoothness in the upper mids and highs, not barky or harsh. The LDS is more present if you will, but still smoother than something like SWR or Eden.
    The "goal" if you will is to capture the smoothness the Epifani offers, but still be able to get a little ugly like say an Ampeg or SWR.
    Don and I are throwing around some other ideas as well to push up the power handling and lower the frequency response.
    Right now it's about a 600 watt box and thus far (on paper anyway) in the area of 45hz - 20Khz. Still working on the sensitivity and such, so forgive me for not being rock solid on numbers at this point.
    I will say this, it will be right in line with the Epifani/Berantino specs, just for comparison.
  6. I REALLY like both my LDS's, but I've been playing some bigger venues recently and I grab the 5x8 for just about 2x8 sits home most of the time now, taking up space; so I may part with it (just for the reason...I have no room in my 1 bedroom condo!)
  7. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I cannot even fathom the low end that 5x8 puts out!

Would love to hear the LDS 310UL, too.

8. I just checked out the LDS site today and I must say I'm impressed. Looks like a lot of nice and varied cabinets. I'd like to pick something up smaller just to lug around to small practive sessions, maybe I'll try to check out a cab with the 8" drivers.

9. Yeah Will...I know you had the 2x8 and where impressed w/ its low end (as am I and the folks I play with), but the can assist w/ curing constipation if you stand at just the right distance from it.
    Don makes some serious boxes...and for the most part, its still a secret. (I'd better stop talkin' about my 5, as I've not seen a huge number of TB'ers inquiring/commenting on that particular model.)
  10. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Or killing the unfortunate small animal that might wander in front of it!

11. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    What's the web adress for LDS?
  12. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
  13. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Ya like the 2x8, then you'll LOVE the 3x8. It's an ass kicker for a little box. Not much bigger than a 1x12.
    We have a newer design 3x8 that were also working on, with one rear firing 8 and 2 front. The top 8 is also tilted back a few degrees to aid in the projection.
    Oh yeah, the top 8 is also a co-ax.
    Since most smaller stages you may damn near be standing on top of your cab, it blows right by you. The idea with the tilt is to help cure that. Leave it on the floor for the low end coupling effect while having the benefit of the added projection.
    Working out the bugs on it, the first one tested nice, but just didn't hit our mark.
    Now if I only worked there!! I'm lucky enough to just be real good friends with Don and the boys.
    I think the LDS UL cabs are gonna shake things up a bit.
    BTW, a 2x8 was sent to BassPlayer as well.........we'll see ;)
  14. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I've got an LDS 208 with long throws in it. I mainly use EA cxl112s for electric and Acme B1 for upright. The LDS is not a transparent cab like the EAs and Acme, to my ears it is closer to an Aguilar 112 but with the 8s.

I don't really like it with my upright but it sounds great with EUB and electric bass. For smaller gigs with a Clarus head it gives the electric bass a lot more punch and low mid girth. It also makes the EUB sound a bit less nasally. Like I said it isn't transparent, but for those low volume gigs where you can only take one speaker and have to get a lot of sound and punch and need a little coloration it is a great value and Don did a fine job with this little cabinet that has it's own voice.
  15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't heard the 2x8, but I heard the 3x8, 4x8, and 5x8, and while all were very impressive, the 3x8 was the one that really amazed me, as it was in the same ballpark as the other two volume and tone-wise, but was much smaller. The new model sounds even more intriguing! My comments when I heard the 3x8 was that if they could just get a bit more upper midrange articulation, it would be quite close to the holy grail of tone/volume in a single small cab.

I'll be interested to see if Bass Player will feature one of Don's cabs. They certainly do deserve attention!

Mike, be sure to give us all a hint when the new 3x8 is available!