1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Le Bass users - do I need a cab sim?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tonymcbony, Jan 25, 2018.

1. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Hi folks,

I've got a Le Bass on the way to me and I've been wondering whether the internal cab sim is too dark out in the real live world.

There's a Two Notes Torpedo CAB local going for cheap but it's still a fair whack of gold and I'm wondering whether it's really worth the outlay. I'm also considering if there are cheaper cab sim alternatives that will do a great job if the internal cab sim really is too dark for most people.

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    While I don't use the Le Bass, I can enthusiastically recommend the Torpedo C.A.B. as part of the chain for direct-to-board gigs.

BrentSimons and tonymcbony like this.
  3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Depends how you're using it - most people don't 'need' a cab sim for their other dirt boxes / preamps. Your cab might have no tweeter and your sound engineer perfectly able to roll off the highs themselves, in which case you won't need one.

My opinion is that for going direct or headphones the drive is very harsh without one and that the cab sim is way too dark unless you seriously boost the treble on it. You might end up with a perfect tones for headphones or FOH that way, but the amp output has no speaker sim applied so that will end up too bright.

I've had good results pairing mine with an OmniCabSim, only used it for recording or headphone practice though. But I far prefer the hands on control it gives you to tweak the response vs having presets and digital menus to fiddle with.

tonymcbony likes this.
  4. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Ah very good call - will be using it with IEM’s or headphones exclusively. Sounds like it could be worth investing in something.

5. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    The built in cab simulator is not useful IMHO. That is unfortunate. When I had my le bass I paired with an Omni Cab Sim pedal which was great.

6. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    I also prefer my new OCSD pedal to the cab sim built into the Le Bass that I used to own.

7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    A Broughton HPF/LPF will do just as good of a job for fewer monies.

DirtyDuke and g13nn like this.
  8. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I didn't need the cab sim on the Le Bass when I had it, but I tried it once and also found it too dark to be useful.

9. imurrx

imurrx

Jul 12, 2019
    Massachussetts
    I am going to give this a try in the effects loop with the Le Bass. I found it new on eBay for $45. The guitar sounds cabs in the demo sound decent. It should have 14 bass cabs in it.

Coral Cab - valeton

tonymcbony likes this.