Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Le Compte basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lo end PUNCH, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    These are truely interesting. I'd love to see pics from some owners or the man himself, cant seem to find a website. :)

2. http://www.lecomptebass.com/
    The 6th link in Google searching for "Le Compte bass". There are numerous pictures on his website. Enjoy.

Edit:
    Bud LeCompte is also a TalkBass member, in case you didn't know. He is "budman"

3. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    he posts in the luthier's corner and in the "where's the beef thread" there are tons of examples of his work.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have a Lecompte ST-5 (the one pictured on his site). It's truly an amazing bass. I have owned MANY basses and love this one more than any I have owned. My others basses get vitually no attention either!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow guys these basses look cool. How do you rate them in terms of value for money? they look like a steal, how does the workmanship etc rate?

Can anynoe else show any pics?

nice 5 string man!

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Woohoo, he has a Dark Star bass design. Hot.

I actually photochopped your bass into a Dark Star bass before, Quad. Sorry :D.

7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Excellent. :D

8. Quadzilla

Agreed 110%! :smug:

9. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX

I'm working on a smallish, boutiqued Guild/Gibson ES style chambered solid body design that will have Dark Stars. I've got the design down on paper. I hope to start on it when I get this current batch out done.

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I've "known" Bud for the last 5 or 6 years now, and I would buy a bass from him any time!

11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Great looking basses! Does anyone have one? How do you like it?

12. Quadzilla

Look further up :rolleyes: in the thread to see my response to how I like it. I also wrote a review of it in the "Gear Reviews" section of this site.

13. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    Theres just something about the wood on that bass that dont appeal to me, but the craftsmanship and design looks real nice!

14. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    That VBX 5 looks cool, I'd love to see one of those built. Any plans for six strings and/or custom string spacing? These basses have the most original headstocks I've seen in a long time, did you really work hard to achieve this or did it just come naturaly? Anyhoo, your prices are very competitve and thats a GOOD thing in the bass biz. :bassist:

Beautiful!!!!

15. Quadzilla

Funny thing is that the wood is a fair bit darker in person and it certainly is less "flat" looking than in the pics. What I mean by saying that is the clear coat is much more shiny in person. The lighting that Bud used to shoot the pics (or the camera) must have done this. Everybody who sees the bass in person is blown away!

16. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Yes, Quads bass looks much better in person than in the pictures..

"hot sexy melted chocolate" or something like that... :smug:

17. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Thanks. I just so happen to have a VBX - 5 going right now, well almost. The neck, top and body blank are being glued up right now. I should start cutting things out in the next few days. It has an alder body with a korina top, inlayed faux swamp ash pickguard, maple neck with macassar ebony fingerboard with matching korina headstock and my "LeCompte" soapbars. :hyper:

All of the models are available in six string form, except for the T4T.

...and the headstock was a bugger to come up with. The hardest part.

18. Quadzilla

Yo Bud, do us LeCompte lovers a favor post some more pics on your site. I know that you added a couple new ones a week or so ago, but prospective buyers and current customers like myself would love to see even more of your work. Please don't take this as a rant, just a suggestion. :)

19. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX

I certainly will, but it'll be over the next few weeks. My paint shop is over flowing at the moment. I've got two customer basses that are near completion with five more right behind that and two customer basses rolling in soon. You'll enjoy seeing your ST's little brother. It's an ST SS - 4 made from the same pieces of walnut and ash.

I'm having a blast!

20. Quadzilla

Very cool. Can't wait to see my bass's little bro! Thanks!