Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

le fay herr schwarz has landed~!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Feb 24, 2006.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, boys and girls, it's been an extremely long ride, but holy schmoly, the wait was worth it...so far anyway...for the purpose of thsi thread my bass doesn't exist yet since i haven't taken a picture of it in my living room :D for those of you who are shaking your heads, it's a lefay herr schwarz with an ash body, padauk neck and fingerboard (bolt on) with passive electronics (volume/tone/4-way pickup selector switch)...the finish is a black stain...the neck has 22 frets with a zero fret, and i gotta say that the craftsmanship on this bass is outstanding...check the grooves in the headstock just aft of the zero fret...no nut! definitely in the same league as mike tobias...weighs just over 8 pounds on the bathroom scale, so it's on the heavier side of light...acoustically it growls nicely, but i've yet to have a chance to plug it into my eden rig...updates to come! and pictures, too ;) and also, some recordings on my band's soundclick page...i'll have the pics up in a little while...yeehaw!

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    :bassist:

3. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Sounds like an amazing bass... I'd love to see some pics.

Le Fay's sweet look like excellently made basses. Especially, as there not too common in the U.S.

4. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    congratulations...
    what did you wrote? 3 weeks? :)

5. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    CONGRATS TOON!

Show me pictures. Now. NOW!!!

:hyper:

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    May the Schwarz be with you.

7. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Congrats man......finally <<<< awaiting the pic's.

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    That little French guy with the red beret in the rowboat musta hauled some serious bootay across the Atlantic! Post pics and soundclips when you get a chance! Congrats!

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ok, guys...pics!

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks great!

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    a couple more :D look at my son in the corner of the pic....isn't he silly :smug:

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Dude, that thing is SWEET! Plugged it in yet?

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i cannot get over the carving and the contours on this thing...the craftsmanship is unbelievable, the attention to detail is absolutely impeccable...even the finish around the recessed input jack...guys this bass is super clean...and it's the budget model!!! if you could even say that...and also, i've got a volume of emails between reiner and myself...there's a 9 hour time difference between here and germany, and everytime i've emailed him in the afternoon, i've had a response the next morning as soon as he sees it...a little bit of a language barrier, but not much, but i'm tellin' ya, excellent customer service...at the very least he is an equal to the best luthiers we have over here...and he's a hilarious guy, too...you could never go wrong picking up a lefay...i'm sure i'll have more to say later on...i'm gonna go play it :D

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    unfortunately, only through a tiny ibanez practice amp with headphones on...my kids were taking a nap...my big rig is in one of my bands' rehearsal spaces :( i'm rolling out to the studio tomorrow, so maybe i'll have a little time to lay something down during the vocal sessions he have going...i'll let you guys know what's up

15. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Very nice, I like the idea of using of padauk for the neck looks really nice and isn't something you normally see. I tend to see it used as a body wood or part of a laminate normally.

How the neck feel?
    Looks killer keep us updated.

16. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    That bass is friggin GORGEOUS!!!!!

17. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    haha, coolest pic ever :D

18. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Oh snap!.....Fine lookin insrument.... hey, looks like you pulled out all your hair while you were waiting. :bag:

19. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh, yeah! that's where my hair went :D yeah, this bass is da stink...the neck feels really good...it's quite thin, actually...like a shallow d profile...feels a lot like my zon sonus 5 string did with respect to the profile...it feels kind of like wenge, except not as porous...it's oil finished...and i didn't say anything earlier, but the pickups are rough crystals, which are also made by reiner in his shop...i think the only thing he doesn't do himself is machine the hardware, which is from schaller and abm...

20. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Congrats man, that thing looks shweeet I've really been wanting to play one of those. Pretty interested in ordering a capone.. but from what I understand those are far from budget models :(