Le freak!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Pbassred, Oct 4, 2004.

1. What's going on in the lick that kicks off the song. I can work out the notes - not hard. E, A, an octave and back to E.

What was the technique/ fretting? I've run out of fingers.
  2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    *tab deleted due to lack of interest - over 24 hour limit*
  3. we are talking about chic here arent we?
    the intro is G to A

1 3 1 3 1 3 1 3 1
    do you want the verse as well?
  4. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Very cool line!

Wish I could play it.
  5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    WHAT??! Hey - no-fair; I have a day job, ya know!

I can get away with visiting TB at work, but I think if I actually started bringing a bass to my desk, some folks might not believe I'm giving 110% for the company, you know?

I can't simply alt-tab a five-string BASS off of my lap, and turn it into a report for my boss - but I CAN alt-tab TB instantly into a word processor or spreadsheet.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi, pbassred.

Some time ago, I transcribed (and played) Le Freak's bassline. I did it using Finale, but I can convert it to a Word document and send it to you if interested (or maybe it's better to post it as an attachment?). Please let me know.

If you're talking about the lick at 0:33, try playing the open E and hammering the string on the fifth fret to get the A (no plucking here) and then play the octave at seventh fret - D string.

Hope this helps.
  7. I tried it - failed - went away and played for a reggae band for a while. Now I'm back.

Its this E that gives me the problem. Is that a pluck or a thumb slap when you play a octave like that?
  8. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Can't help with the tab, just wanted to say that there were a lot of great bass lines coming out of that group.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It's been awhile; IIRC, try this for the that little fill into the 1st verse-
    l(1)---(2)--a3e&_4_&_l1 etc

l(1)---(2)--EAaE_G_G#_lA etc

Both "E"s are OPEN
    "A" is played at the 5th fret/E-string
    "a" is played at the 7th fret/D-string
    "G" = 3rd fret/E-string
    "G#" = 4th fret/E-string
  10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Notice that the sounding note is an A, not an E. No "tricks" here. Just make sure that when you play the upper A, the lower is still ringing. I mean, no gaps between these two notes. That octave must sound the most legato possible. I still can post my transcription if you want.

Hey, Jim, with all my respect I can tell you that the notes are l(1)---(2)--EAaE_F#_G_lA. I've just listened and re-listened the recording at any point this fill is played and I'm 500% sure about it.
  11. Yes quite right. My typo. That note is an octave "A". However the question was - Slap it or pluck it?. Not the rest of the piece. Just that note.
  12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Pluck it. The whole piece is played like that.
  13. Doh!

I was trying to slap my way through it. For weeks. Trying to make it sound better than fingers. Thank you. My misery is over.
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Doh...missed it by an inch! Doing it from memory while sitting in front of the compooter; guess I played it 'wrong' way back when. Oh, well.