Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lead Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ahmrik, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Hi,
    Which bands have a "Lead Bass" player?:help: Where you can actually hear the bass up front. Just my current band have had an Idea of "bouncing" solos between Guitarist and Bass player.

The Guitarist is more of a Rhythm player and until we find a lead player then I would be filling in.

Please bear in mind I don't do any slapping and have no intention of doing.

Thanks.

2. Jingle_W_Clark

Jingle_W_Clark Banned

Feb 4, 2006
    Primus is definitely one.

And they suck. :meh:

The Flecktones, perhaps.

Some Chilli Peppers work, maybe.

3. Cream

4. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Check out Cliff Burton, John Entwistle, Steve Swallow, Steve Digiorgio, Sean Malone, Jaco himself, Geddy Lee, Billy Sheehan, and any number of bassists out there. Despite what many of your close collegues may tell you, there are NO set rules as to what you can and can't do. Check out a video of Cliff way back in the day playing with a guitarist and a drummer (video.google.com has it). The group sounded like a cross between Metallica and Led Zeppelin, and Cliff was pretty much playing whatever he wanted to play.

5. mainxzibit6789

mainxzibit6789

Feb 4, 2006
    My Generation by the Who has a great bass solo in it

It's a good example

6. klamaz

klamaz

Aug 8, 2004
    Virginia
    Check out Marcus Miller. He slaps alot, but you don't have to. He's just a good example of melodies being carried by the bass.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there's quite a few bass players here at tb who are pretty comfortable with the idea of a bass solo or two here and there.

ahem

8. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Cliff Burton is credited for lead bass on "The Call of Ktulu" in the liner notes of Metallica's "Ride the Lightning".

Billy Sheehan played a lot of lead lines in David Lee Roth's band and Mr. Big.

...that's just a couple.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :D You know Ahmrik, JT actually IS a very skilled bass player and the clip in his signature features some pretty rad "lead" bass playing.

10. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Stanley has toured with supporting bassplayers for many years while he plays his usual 'lead style'. Ron Carter did the same thing in the 70's.

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

+1
    This guy doesn't just slap when he's slapping, he's playing melodically, and his solos are very melodic/rhythmic as well.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Jonas hellborg and Stuart Hamm are a couple of great players who like a little solo here and there.

Also, Stanley Clarke is worth a mention here, listen to School Days and hear that wild bass solo!

13. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I would also mention Matt Freeman from Rancid. He plays solos every now and then and really stands out in that band.

14. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

wah? how does that second part work?

15. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    The Who

16. zephir2004

zephir2004

Mar 8, 2004
    Of course you probably heard this before but listen to Jaco stuff. Especially if you don't slap. Jaco Jaco Jaco and the live stuff also, you can listen to him forever and keep learning.

steve
    http://www.woodfishmusic.com

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    '

Ugh, obviously not an old school Primus fan.....

Primus' slogan was "Primus Sucks," in fact, their website is primussucks.com