1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lead gui**** is a moocher

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by adsr, Jun 15, 2007.

1. adsr

adsr

Jun 15, 2007
    My lead gui**** doesn't have a single stompbox or multieffect unit and ends up using my guitar stompboxes at every single band practice.

I admit I bought the stompboxes for him to use initially since I'm financially better off than he is but I'm getting fed up of him using my stompboxes...I wouldn't mind if he had his own effects and wanted to use mine because mine are better tonewise but this seems like outright mooching off me.

I couldn't care less if he were using a JCM 800 but what he's using is a 15w kustom bedroom practice amp and the overdrive channel just sounds like somebody draped 10 carpets over the speaker.

I told him nicely to get a Zoom G2.1u last year (and its like June now?) but he kept delaying and giving all sorts of excuses. Now the idiot is getting a new computer and I suggested to him to use part of the computer money for the G2.1u but he replied that he doesn't want a less powerful computer.

This is the last straw for me and I've got a good mind to give him an ultimatum - either get decent gear or I quit.

He's a personal friend of mine for the last 2 years...classmates in high school. I would like to keep him as a friend, nice guy but sometimes lacking in the brain :rollno:

TBers, am I being overly harsh with him? :confused: Any other suggestions?

2. wmcjhi

wmcjhi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tempe, AZ
    Sounds like you're being a little rough, man!

Couple quick Qs:
    Is he damaging the pedals at all?
    Is his using them affecting your ability to groove?
    Do they require you to bring an extra bag or do they fit in what you already carry?
    Is his using them costing you money?

I'd assume you pay for the batteries and the other 3 are probably no. Just make him buy the batts, tell him man to man that you'd really prefer if he could get his own stuff, then let him be. He's your friend and it doesn't really sounds like he's hurting your gear nor your playing ability.

As far as the amp goes, yea, string him up for that. If it isn't working with the band, it's a problem. Talk about that as a band. If he's the only problem in a group of 4 (or more?), why should YOU go?

3. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    School's out, right? Unless he's taking summer classes tell him to get a job.

4. adsr

adsr

Jun 15, 2007
    He's not damaging the pedals or causing me any inconvenience but it's the constant borrowing that irks me. I could tell him that I'd prefer him having his own gear but I feel that he would probably blow it off. I was constantly reminding him for the past 6 months to get a multieffect but he kept on giving excuses for not buying one.

Part of the reason why I'm wanting out is because I'm bored with the band...it's a originals band among friends and it's stagnating to the point where I couldn't care less about it. The drummer and lead gui**** are still in high school and simply don't have the time for band stuff.

5. adsr

adsr

Jun 15, 2007
    Unfortunately we aren't in the US...the 2nd semester of school just started and there's no way he's getting a part time job cause major exams are only 4 months away.

6. billbass1

billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    It's time for you to move on son...........

7. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Stop supplying them for him. Leave them behind a few times and see what he does. And as for his amp, that is a matter for band meetings.

8. +1

9. Silas Martinez

Silas Martinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Denver, CO
    "Oh, you mean my old effects? I sold them off to buy this new bass."

On the serious side, I don't have an answer for you. Go with your gut. In one band I was in, I let one of the guitarists use one of my old guitar amps, because it was better suited to keeping up with us - but it was under the condition that it was a loaner until he could afford his own - and susceptible to being sold off or becoming otherwise unavailable. I'd assume that if I'd gotten frustrated with it, I'd have simply needed it for something else.

This was a sign of a deeper problem, though - I eventually left the band (and brought the amp out with me) because the lack of adequate gear eventually proved to be a lack of dedication to advancing the music. I was putting in more than 15-20 hours a week, in addition to practices, a family, and a day job, to perfecting parts, refining skills, etc. This guy (and the other guitarist) considered showing up for once or twice a week practices practice enough.

10. richardjones89

richardjones89

Jun 6, 2007
    a simple performance amp that lets you change the sound is enough, but there comes a time where you are pretty limited. i believe a good clean instrument gives the best sound.

just tell him that he has to give you money to use your stuff. then if hes stupid enough to do it, after a few times tell him youve payed him enough money to buy something of his own. see if he gets buzzed off by that and buys something for a change... ;) lol

of course, you could always buy him some effects with the money you earn from his gullableness? :p

11. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    +1 with the above statements........."accidentally" leave them at home or tell him you sold them since you didn't use them.

12. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Tell you him sold YOUR pedals because you needed to fund the purchase of some more useable gear for yourself.

13. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    I have no problem helping out people if they are appreciative but 9 times outta 10 people like this get to a point where they EXPECT you to bring this stuff for them to use. That's where I draw the line.

14. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I'd say there's your real reason for being PO'd. You want to leave and you're using his mooching as an excuse - just leave before the two of you fight and you lose a bud.

15. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    This is the most telling line in my opinion... If you're bored, move on... believe me, life's too short, and you have less of it everyday...

-robert

16. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA

I've been in similar situations in the past. If it really bothered me to constantly have the guitarist use your pedals, I'd feel like friendship required that I take responsibility for my own irritation and stop making them available. I think friendship requires me to address growing irritations before they become intolerable, even if it is awkward to do so. It certainly wouldn't seem right for me to water and feed a private grievance at the expense of the friendship.

YMMV, but the principles here seem clear.

I wonder, though, based on your description, if you aren't unknowingly setting up your friend's mooching as a scapegoat for your own desire to be free of the band. If you really want to quit, just do it.

17. adsr

adsr

Jun 15, 2007
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Frankly its gear issues that have been bothering me...rythym gui**** was using a guitar beginner pack and his sound was dreadful. But since he could drum decently we switched him over to drums.

Which leads me to another grievance...band rehearsal is at my house and sometimes he whacks my drums overly hard for kicks :rollno: :mad: The bass drum gets it the worst...he literally tries to step on the pedal as hard as he can right in front of me :mad: :mad: :mad: It really pisses me off as I'm letting him use the drums for free.

The other day they brought in another friend (I'm sorta friends with him but not close) and the moron did the same thing to the bass drum and nearly upset a table full of DIY stompbox circuits and components.

I'm sorry this turned out to be a rant but I had to get this off my chest...why can't people be more respectful of other people's gear :rollno:

p/s I bought the damn drumkit for the band even though I don't play drums and it's been hogging a significant amount of real estate in my bedroom :meh:

edit: I guess I've had enough crap, I'm calling Lead gui**** to tell him they can go find another bassist.

18. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    If they aren't respecting you or the equipment you are letting them use, please do yourself a favor and send them on their happy little way.

19. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    +1

Now they need a new bassist. Their guitarist doesn't have any effects and their drummer has no kit. Maybe now they will learn a few lessons for the future. It's all part of the growing cycle, all of us veterans have been through these types of things at one point or other.

20. richardjones89

richardjones89

Jun 6, 2007
    doesnt sound like they appreciate what youve done for the band. if youre not happy then leave. and then form another band when youre ready.

have a little play of your drums now and again, even if you dont intend to get good. they arent much use just sitting there waiting for a drummer to play them. its nice to know how other instruments play, and when you realise what it takes to play someone elses then you appreciate more what they contribute to the band as a whole.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021