1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lead gui**** is a moocher

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by adsr, Jun 15, 2007.

1. adsr

adsr

Jun 15, 2007
    Well I've tried drumming every once and then...and every time I attempt some new stuff I end up with a headache :bag:

2. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    wait, so....hang on....you bought some effects so your guitarist could use them and now are demanding that he gets his own? you also bought a drum kit for the band and now do not like them playing it. further more you are bored with the band and want out anyway....

why did you buy all the crap in the first place? sell it to the other band members or something and get outta of there. then learn to say "no, buy your own damn stuff"

3. This doesn't work. You chose to buy them for him (quite generously I might add), he has every right to "mooch" them.

4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I don't see the problem here, this is the guitarist in your band using your effects pedals. If he needs them for your collective songs, doesn't that cause a problem for you if you don't let him use them?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Am I missing something here?

6. It's not a question of being harsh, which I don't think you are... as you've been in this situation for quite some time. If a band member has economic difficulties and you want to keep him, it's cool to help... but I don't think it's cool when somebody just shows no interest.
    If he's able to get a new computer, I'm sure he has the means to buy a cheap multiFX...
    And the amp... if he's not even trying to save for a new amp... to me that indicates lack of serious interest...

7. adsr

adsr

Jun 15, 2007
    I think this post sums it up quite nicely...he has the means to buy a nice computer but won't use a portion of that money for a cheap multi-fx which he has kept delaying for 6 months.

About the me lending him the pedals issue...I know I'm kinda going back on my word but I've gotten fed up of it. I'm frustrated that I'm the one supplying gear for the other bandmembers, seeing them take it for granted, seeing the other members not have any initiative to buy their own gear and in the case of the drumkit, abuse my gear. Basically, I'm sick of spoonfeeding them gear.

I just called him to tell him that I'm leaving, he sounded upset and told me that he was going to buy the multi-fx soon. YEAH RIGHT :spit: I hope he finally realizes that band stuff is a two-way thing.

This is so evil but I can't help not posting this...without me they're gonna be car-less and that will be a major headache for them since they live miles away from each other. :spit: (Yes, I have been ferrying them for free :rollno: )

p/s I think I've saved myself from more headache by quitting the band now...can't imagine asking him to buy a 50w amp which probably costs much more than the G2.1u :rollno:

p/s 2: If you're asking about the music...don't ask.

8. Holy lack of logic, Batman!

So... one way is your way?

And the other way is.... your way?

Good luck with your new band, I guess.

:rollno:

9. adsr

adsr

Jun 15, 2007
    Sigh, I don't know what I was doing at that time...I guess I tried to do what I could to improve the band as a whole.

Well technically no...without the pedals he'd just carry on using the terrible overdrive channel of his 15watter amp.

I was expecting to be lending him the pedals for a few months, and during the time which I lent him the pedals, I was constantly reminding him in a polite way to purchase a multiFX of his own. I even scoured local forums for 2nd hand ones that went for around 20-30% off the retail price so he wouldn't have to pony up so much cash but all my efforts were a waste I guess.

If anyone wants to know, I have bought a Boss SD-1 (overdrive), OS-2 (distortion/overdrive), a Danelectro Fab Tone (fuzz) and a Ibanez Weeping Demon wah. Only the Fab Tone and the Weeping Demon work decently with bass. The abused drumkit is a Pearl Forum with Remo Ambassador coated skins.

10. adsr

adsr

Jun 15, 2007
    Can you please elaborate? I'm not being sarcastic, I want to know what exactly are you talking about.

I'm not a charity for pedal-less guitarists. I don't mind giving a boost but I dislike being depended on.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Doctor, it hurts when I do this.

OK, then don't do that.

12. Hi, adsr.

Been there, done that, ended more or less the same way.

I was young, too young to know better than the fact that the first act of commitment to anything is to BUY the equipment one uses YOURSELF. If it's just given, borrowed, stolen or whatever way aquired, the level of commitment can't be that high in the first place.

I had the whole load: guitars, bass, guitar gear, bass gear, Pearl World double drum kit, PA, van. Only the players were missing. I tried to control the whole setup and failed miserably. Lesson learned: Never again.

It's good to have as much gear as possible for various reasons but everyone should use their own anyway.

People tend to get used to having this and that at their disposal for free and so the need for buying their own doesn't seem to be that important or even required for that matter.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

13. you're stuffed... you've effectively dug your own grave here...

just put the kit up for sale and give them a preferential deal on the price...

14. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007

I don't think he's stuffed. He was basically running a babysitting service. They didn't even have their own transportation, let alone their own adequate gear. It wouldn't have worked long term. He did good to get out now. JMO

15. sully

sully

Aug 14, 2006
    PNG
    Sounds like your generosity got abused. But on the other hand, you seem to have created a situation where at one time you said to everyone in your band that it was cool for them to use your stuff...and over time for whatever reason you have changed your mind on how you feel about this. Conflicting messages.

If I was you, I would sell everything that I didn't need for myself (eg. drumkit and pedals) and find people who have taken the time and effort to get there own gear.

Even guys who are dirt poor but have dedication and passion for the music/band will find a way to get the equipment that they need...

chalk this one up as a learning experience.

btw, It is also really interesting to think about the imbalances that are created in a band when one guy is supporting the rest of the group. You are not equal band members anymore when the rest of the band are in your debt and that you have imposed some sort of expectation on them on how to pay off this debt...kinda f*cks up the band dynamic

16. I will let a wiser voice than myself speak to this.

17. bird_man022

bird_man022

Apr 15, 2007
    Peoria, AZ
    " I was constantly reminding him for the past 6 months to get a multieffect but he kept on giving excuses for not buying one."

hey, if you still want him to get a multieffects board, im lookin to sell my pod xt live. pm me if you/ he is interested

18. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    From XTC's "Snowman":
    People will always be tempted to wipe their feet on anything with "welcome" written on it.

19. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    iv done the same thing, you want to get everything started so you buy the gear yourself but in the end they dont respect it as it was free.

not all people are like that though: if they needed a leg up thats fair enough but you got screwed, even if your broke you can keep an eye out and traul ebay for cheap gear, quality vintage or just flat out bargains and get a decent setup over time.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021