1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lead Guitarist Auditions

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Munjibunga, May 26, 2011.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I joined a new band a couple months ago after disbanding my old one. The new band was undergoing some personnel changes, and I'm the new guy (I played with the leader, the drummer, about 15 years ago in a CW band). They had shed their lead guitarist/lead singer and bass player with a gig on the books, so I recruited the lead guitarist and rhythm guitarist/vocalist from my recently demised band to sit in for that. The gig went well, but now we need to recruit a new lead guitarist/lead vocalist.

So I ran an ad on CL and got 8 or 10 responses. We held auditions for the first two last night. The first guy sings lead and is an excellent guitarist. He's in our age group, no drugs, no drama, family man, and has a personality. No ego detected. He likes our song list. He knew the words and guitar parts, and had appropriate tone for all the songs. No full stack, a 212 Fender combo at reasonable volume. When we played the audition songs (6 or 8), we could have performed them anywhere with zero embarassment.

The second guy was an excellent player, but doesn't sing.

So who should we hire? (Hint: auditions are over.)

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    From your description, it sounds like the first guy, as you described both as excellent players, but the first guy has more to bring to the table with his singing.

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Umm, the first one?

4. Senor Vocals for the win.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    After the first one, I said to the leader, "Can we just ask the second guy to go home?" I made this post mostly to contrast the plethora of audition fiasco stories that pop up here all the time. Sometimes things just work out.

6. Sounds like you lucked out!!!! A family man to boot is always a good thing, keep a close eye on him and see if a truck load of Marshall bottoms shows up at rehearsal and a guy named Skip shows up with a lisp and a limp and a patch over one eye hahahaha!!!! Then call the other guy quick!!! good luck, hes gonna work out fine. Doc

7. wow, time to buy a lottery ticket!

Randy

8. A dude that sings and plays plus, plus he has a reasonable volume and sounds like he's got a sense of what works with out having to be told to turn down etc. Sounds like you found him already.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    He signed on last night. He's as excited as we are.

10. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    First gig: Secret hanger at Area 51

11. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow! I saw the title of this thread and was expecting the worst. Congrats!

12. This happened to me once...