Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lead-ing question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzyb, Apr 12, 2004.

1. jazzyb

jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    This maybe be off topic but what importance do you fellow bassists give to using top grade leads with your kit.
    Our guitarist just spent over £40 (uk) on a new cable and hasn't stopped smiling due to the difference in tone and vol.
    If I follow his example I'd need an angle jack-straight jack 20ft, any comments, experiences etc.

2. monster cable is where it's at!

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Everybody differs. I've never been able to discern a difference in sound, but the Monster Bass cables I bought have lasted longer than any other cables I've owned, and have a free-replacement lifetime warranty. I'd consider that with the price . . .

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Planet Waves cables also have a lifetime warranty and are way cheaper than Monster Cable. I think they are better cables IMO.

5. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I can't tell a difference much at all. I hte the monster strain relief or lack there-of and the monster Jazz series 1/4 jacks are oversized and won't fit into my Mackie 1202 or 1604. I like regular Pro-Co excel-lines, or Rapco instrument cable. Black, 1/4 ends, spiral shielding, 22awg and simple. Learn how to wrap cables properly and anything will last a long time.

pete

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I have monster but I use cheapies because monster cables are so stiff that they get tangled too easily and thats aggrivating on stage. I like soft cables. Never noticed much difference in sound. I agree with Pete, the monster cable tips are slightly oversized and a jack on my amp broke because of that. :meh:

Planet Waves are nice and very flexible which I like. The only thing I dont like about the planet waves speakon cables I have is that you cannot get into the connector. Ther are sealed preventing rewiring or repair. I didnt notice until after I bought them though. :rolleyes: Now I only buy cables that can be repaired.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Not impressed with the monsters. I had one for MAYBE a couple of months with little and light use and it started crackling and set for some 4 months before I got around to taking it back in. The lifetime deals a plus for sure. Another thing is I like a guitar plug with a 90 degree jack so I can lean it up against something without throwing a bine into the cord (which is probably what happened to it that screwed in up cause it worked initially). Around the house I just use a short cheap little cord (with 90) that was free that I like best. But I could see where with a passive bass you may be able to tell a distinct difference between a quality and cheap cord, especially on a longer run.

8. jazzyb

jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    Thanks for your comments. I've found that Monster do a specific bass cable, 21ft with r/angle to straight jack, this looks to be favourite at moment. Hope to pick one up before next gig at weekend.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A specific bass cable? ;)

That is funny!

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Please, please, please...let's not do this again...

11. jazzyb

jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    Check out Monster web site! What are your thoughts?

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Jazzyb, "top grade" leads can cost a lot or cost surprisingly little, depending on how much marketing is mixed in.

A "special" cable for bass or for any other instrument has a lot of marketing features added into the packaging, but it's still just a cable.

My "top grade" leads cost me about $15 each.

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    ive said this about behringer threads and it happens anyway.