1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lead singers and musical diarrhea

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tmart937, Sep 25, 2008.

1. tmart937

tmart937

Jan 20, 2006
    Here goes another story about lead singers. I moved back to Indiana just to play in a band with my current lead singer. He is a great singer and a decent song writer. We played in a band together for a year and still aren't as tight as we had hoped due to lack of practice. Now my singer is starting a side project and wants me to come along. This side project already has a show coming up in a few weeks. Last practice with the new side project we are going over our set list when.
    The singer wants to have a jam session and write more songs! We already have enough songs to play a set. He never wants to go through the set list and make things as tight as possible. I think he would be happy playing the worlds longest song just going from chord to chord with no direction. This wouldn't be so bad if he just sang but he is also the rhythm guitarist!
    How should I let him know that just because "he thinks" he has his stuff down that the rest of us need and want to get tighter and tighter.

2. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    I think the best way is to tell him exactly that, in those words.

3. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    yup. It might also help to clarify before you get together whether you are all going to have a practice or a jam/writting session. If he knows there is going to be time set asside specifically for writing and jamming, he is much more likley to be willing to do the hard work of actual practicing.

In his defense though, it is his side project, you probably don't want to try and control too much too early.