1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lead vocalist/song writer mood swings

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by eedre, Feb 18, 2008.

1. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    So I talked to the drummer today and he said he walked in on the lead vocalist and the gutarists talking. The vocalist was talking about how none of us our pulling our weight in the band, that he's unhappy with the stuff we come up with musically, and that he is thinking about putting together an all acoustic group (none of us would be in it). I tend to think that no, not everyone is doing their part (I'm not one of them), but leaders positively criticize in order to stimulate a change. It's also unclear as to what he wants. I believe we do everything we can to promote our shows as that is the only thing we have to work with without a recording.

How serious should I be taking this? Should I be wasting my time with him? He's a moody guy, always saying stuff that's pretty heavy but in a sarcastic manner, etc. But when you start criticizing people in a negative way, things don't happen.

It's kind of getting on my nerves. I don't think he'd be happy with any one group of people for a long time.

Great, now I'm gonna have a bad taste in my mouth whenever I play with him...:spit:

2. This is why lead vocalists shouldn't be leaders in a band, they're often convinced that they do the most work because "anyone can learn to play an instrument." Pish posh, this stuff happens. You can address the situation in a constructive manner or just let it slide and see if it turns into anything serious.

3. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Our singer's so moody, I'm considering making trank darts part of my rehearsal kit. I'm also working on material for another band...you know, digging the tunnel and putting in the supports before I make my break.

Lead singers seem to be often moody. As long as you're not being verbally assaulted or otherwise abused/misused, it might be worth putting up with. But if its bringing the whole band down, and making working with this group suck for you, then, hey, you can start your own project, too. ;)

Cherie

4. remind me not to sing for u :rolleyes:

5. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Replace him. OUr lead singer quit and within 24 hours I had 3 auditions set up that netted me a great singer.

6. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Don't have screaming freakouts at every practice, and we'll get along juuuuust fine! ;)

Cherie :ninja::D:bag:

7. I am a very quiet boy :D

8. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    He writes everything (it's really good) and has a great voice - our sound IS him.

If we booted him or he left, I'm not sure we'd have enough vocal talent to keep going.

Plus, you know how us bassists like to join established acts ;)
    These would be my option - to start looking for another established band or stick it out with him and hope he doesn't quit.

9. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Good move ;)

Although, they start to ask questions when you ask for help loading your rig up after practice to "fill in" for another band :)

10. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Hand the lead singer a guitar and go here.......do both..... :)

I'd ask the singer what their intentions for the band are. My singer and guitar do a duo without me.... but it's only at venues that're too small/cheap for a group and they actively plug the whole group, give out the band business cards, etc. So, having an acoustic group isn't necessarily a bad thing, IF it's only being done because the places won't pay and if it doesn't take priority over the whole group. But... if the singers intention is to boot ya'll.....grab the drummer and run. Good drummers/bass players are hard to come by.......at least around here...... you'll find something else.

Egos stink.

11. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    This has been going through my head over and over and over. I've become good friends with him...

12. Well then you better get used to it, and it probably will get worse. I would imagine if the singer finds others he thinks would do "what he wants", then he will ditch the current players, and where does that leave you.

Try to enjoy the ride....

13. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Yeah...that can get pretty sticky.

I just tell my band when I'm working on something else. They have no problem booking acoustic duo gigs without me, or having a sub come in when I can't make a gig. So I don't feel guilty sitting in with others, or working on a 2nd project. I told our drummer about this 2nd project, so he can't say I lied, you know?

Singer's about ready to boot me, anyway. She says I have an attitude. Because I had a funny look on my face when I got frustrated while working on a song with her. :rollno: Clearly, she's the only one allowed to show any emotion other than satisfaction. Drummer has the same problem with her.

Which is why I'm so happy to have a new project! There's no escape for him, but I can construct a way out for myself and take it any old time. ;)

Sometimes, I think I stick around because I'm like Capt. Hogan. I could leave, but then I wouldn't get to watch Col. Klink twist off, and that can be amusing! :D

Cherie :bassist: