1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leading finger for right hand?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by BoulderBrow, Nov 22, 2006.

1. BoulderBrow

BoulderBrow

Nov 22, 2006
    UK
    Hello

I'm an electric bass player whose recently bought a double bass.
    I've been watching a few vids of various bass players and notice that many use their index fingers dominantly over their 1st.
    Do you upright players usually lead with your indexs?

When I play electric I lead with my 1st finger e.g if im playing steady 8ths I accent the 1st note of a bar with my 1st.
    If you do the same thing on an upright do you accent with your index?

2. I am also a BG player relatively new to the DB world. What I have found is that using the entire side of my index finger up to my 2nd knuckle gets a really good deep and projected sound. I have seen people that use the index and middle together as there is more meat to hit the string with. There is a video on You Tube that I watched for right hand technique. This helped me a bit. Good luck.

3. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    What is the link to the you-tube video? The knuckle on my ring finger hurts a little for some reason.

I'm switching from e-bass to upright as well, and I've been struggling a little. I've been playing about 2 weeks now, I suppose.

4. Here is the link to the video.

5. BoulderBrow

BoulderBrow

Nov 22, 2006
    UK
    Thanks for the reply,

Yeah that vids pretty helpful, its still hard to tell which fingers more dominant especially when he plays fast. I find it hard to get that shape as well, kind of limp wrist like.

I'm gonna give the two fingers together technique a go and maybe use my middle finger to lead when going down the strings.