1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Leading with my ears instead of my mouth

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Aug 20, 2012.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

We have all seen it in the movies. Music in minor keys, a house full of danger and Frank sneaks up on Betty and catches her off guard. Then … BOOM … Betty reacts and Frank is looking up at Betty from the floor. Of course Betty says she sorry that she didn’t know it was him.
    Sometimes the best thing to do is react it can save your life, but sometimes it pays to stop and think a moment. Do I really need to react to what he just said/did? Maybe my best response is no response at all. Or maybe if I think it through I can cup up with an appropriate response instead of a haymaker to the jaw. I can’t count the times I have reacted and regretted it later. Once I have said something there is no way I can unsay it. It’s like squeezing toothpaste out of the tube, once it’s out there is no putting it back.
    Maybe I don’t like what someone has said. Is it best to respond with some tried ant true cutting remark that I think will put them in their place?
    I am also tempted to do this here on T.B sometimes. I think it is best really listen then wait and think things over before I make some remark that sends people into red alert with shields up, fazers and proton torpedoes ready to fire. If I’m going to dance it’s better to lead with my ears and let my mouth follow.

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Definitely.

My wife and I have found that we discuss sensitive issues via IM/text than we do face-to-face. When we write out what we want to say, we take the time to construct our message much more clearly and can do a better job communicating. Face-to-face, we're both far too sensitive and reactionary, and it invariably ends up spirilling into a mess.

3. as long as autocorrect doesnt mess something up :bag:

4. Aaaaahhhh, that kind of thinking is for squares, man. I say you just let rip, what the H**l else are you gonna do on teh Interwebz?:D

5. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I didn't read the OP, but I vehemently disagree to the point of questioning your value as a human being. :spit: