Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leads:

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by British Gas, Jun 15, 2003.

1. I have had 4 leads bust in just 8 months of playing, why and have you hsd similer problems??:bassist: :bawl:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You probably mean strings, right?

Is it always the same string and does it break at the bridge (at the end of the body)?

There's probably a sharp edge that eats through the string as it vibrates. File it smooth, and it should stop.

Also, try using a lighter touch if you dig in really hard. It'll also improve your sound.

I haven't broken a string in years.

3. only time i break a string is when i pull my trem bar back to far. or on a older set of strings i mite break a d/g popping. give more info liek were the strings break and what not.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I thought it meant cables/cords.
    Either way, too vague for me...

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "Leads" means cords in the UK.

Man, this mod manual has everything!;)

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    OK, then.

• Buy better cables, or make your own with decent cable and Neutriks (it's easy)
    • Don't step on your cords.
    • Roll them up properly after use.
    • Don't leave them in moist environments.
    • Always have a backup cable handy.

7. "leads" means strings in the US???? Man, that's weird. I'd call them "cables" anyway.

Anyway, I find that the only reason any of mine have broken is because of people standing on them. Mind, I roll mine up properly and I try not to let anyone else* near them.

By doing that, I've survived on a couple of Stagg (those are the cheapest ones in the shop, really low quality) ones for all my rehersals and lessons for nine months now, and that's been a hectic 9 months.

Mind, I have a couple of good ones for use when I'm gigging or recording or any other time sound quality is really important - those two only leave my room for times like that.

*I let a keyboard player I worked with use one of mine for ages, it still works because she's gentler than a kitten and so was careful with it (and everything else. I've never seen anyone so gentle.)

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    No-one says cables in Australia. We call em leads.

If you've ever looked inside a lead you'll see that it's made up of hundreads of really thin strands of copper. Every time you step on it, or roll it up incorrectly, yu break some of those little strands of copper until eventually it doesn't work any more.

So, what JMX said!