Lean Mean DPCustom Zebra Machine

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chump stain, Mar 26, 2002.

1. I received my DP Custom yesterday. I was first stunned when opening the case, the pictures Dave sent me don't even compare to the beauty of this instrument. fresh off the UPS truck the bass was ice cold. I left it in it's case and let it warm up to room temprature while I read Daves maintenance instructions.
    once it warmed up I took a while just looking at it, the craftsmanship is unbelieveable. the sweet smell of tung oil, glue, or both filled the air.
    unplugged and going through some scales on the fretboard produced a few buzzes. I play over the neck pickup which tends to throw the strings more than playing over the bridge pickup. didn't have time to set it up to my style before heading to work.
  2. Looking at the back it looks like you can feel right into the grain of the ash. it has a very 3 diminsional look.
  3. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    tell us what you think of it plugged in!!
  4. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    First that burly beauty, now this zebra...you guys are driving me NUTS! I have at least 2 months to wait for my DP Custom B-Bass....arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Very nice Chump! Can't wait to hear your detailed report.
  5. plug it in and... nothing. flip it to passive and boom the bass comes alive. I go and change the battery, and once in active still nothing. I've been talking to Dave and we're trying to pin point the problem. more than likely something happend durring shipping where a ground wire shorted something out. I just can't find it yet. I don't know squat about electronics. I'll figure it out. in passive the Bart quad coils sound awesome, I cant wait to get the preamp going.
  6. a couple quarter turns of the truss rod, and a quick saddle adjustment, and no more buzz. set up perfect for my style in minutes, and perfect intonation.
    the hand made truss rod cover is just a small detail that sets it off.:)
  7. the neck has a thin modern profile. like a D but elongated.
    this thing is built like a tank, yet elegant. the woods are all substantial and thick. the bass feels very solid, but not cumbersome or bulky. the best way to decribe it is "just right".
  8. so far, I'm totally stoked. I would never have guessed I could afford a bass this sweet. I just want to say thanks to Dave for making this possable to a regular working stiff like me. :D

once I get some hours on it, and the preamp worked out, I'll post another reveiw.
  9. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    chump stain.
    your bass looks great! i'm getting dave my down deposit this week.
    hope that the preamp is an easy fix. i'm sure it is just a loose wire.
  10. Chump Stain, I wouldn't be surprised if UPS did something to mess up your electronics, but I'm sure you'll get it figured out (with Dave's assistance). Your bass looks fantastic! To what other basses does it compare in passive mode? I'm looking forward to hearing your review once you get the electronics worked out.

On a side note, NEVER ship with UPS. Does Dave offer to ship via FedEx?
  11. geez guys, the more I sit here and play this thing the more I love it. :D the bass sings, it's got such a beautiful tone. and it plays like a dream.
    now I just got to get use to this 35" scale. I have to look to see where I'm at. those guys who play 36" are nuts.
  12. Very nice bass there Chump Stain. I hope you get that electrical problem worked out. I just e-mail Dave last night about a quote on a custom 5. I wonder how much bu$ine$$ Dave gets from Talk Bass members? :D

I'm gonna try to keep mine as simple as possible, but yours looks great.

Another Fantastic DP Custom.
  13. just messin around, I soloed the neck pup on the P-bass setting. and it almost sounds like a P, kind of a scooped mid type tone. way cool.
    I got so many knobs and switches to play with. so far I think I like the neck pup set to full humbucking, and the bridge set to parallel. but in a band setting that could all change.
  14. Great lookin' bass - glad you're happy.

Regarding shipping, I always budget for overnight shipping with either Airborne or Fed Ex. I want the instrument in a carrier's hands for the shortest time possible.

15. another thing, the B is tight and right on. no floppin around, sounds just as good as the E.
    I love the grain on the zebrawood, looks like it's drippin with coolness :D I could stare at this thing for hours.
  16. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    chump stain.
    is the bass fairly loud even when it is unplugged? is it really "bright" sounding? just curious. i really like your wood choices. they look great together.
  17. I guess you would say, it's what you would expect when unplugged. it does have tons of sustain, I noticed that.
    my opinion on the "brightness" of a bass is going to be skewed, I've been playing with flatwound strings for over a year, so everything sounds bright to me.
  18. That is the nicest looking DP Custom bass I've seen. I like the body shape, and zebrano might just be the most beautiful wood around in my book, I'm not too fond of busy looking burls or quilts that are so much in vogue right now, but what does it sound like compared to other popular top/body woods, like maple, walnut etc?

19. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Chump stain--Man, you have really got me feeming for a new bass. This is beyond the point of GAS. That zebrawood is fine! Can't wait to hear what you think when the active side is up and running. That's a fine piece of work there! Congrats, man, I know you're super-stoked. I would be! Hopefully my day will come soon.
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Never ship UPS...I know Bass Central would rather drive the bass to you than ship it U People Suck. All the shipping damage stories I've heard come from UPS...though I almost never hear a FedEx problem...I hope you get things figured out.

Bloody shame I think Zebra wood is the pits...