Leaning Bass - Update

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by tzadik, Feb 3, 2007.

1. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Interesting:

We played a particularly long set last night - things were really rockin and we just got going and kept going. Tempos were VERY insane and I was barely hanging on by the end of it. My right wrist was really feeling it and getting very fatigued. Without even thinking about it, just to relieve some of the stress on the right wrist and try to tap into some fresh muscles, I started shifting my bass to the left. Wonky technique, sure, but it was one of those simply-have-to-try-something-else-asap times. So, as a temporariyl muscle relief thing as crazy-fast tempos - I guess that's one way to do it.

Also, the leftward lean mimics the toy-bass position and gets your fingers closer to being purpendicular to the strings. This makes it easier to alternate first and second fingers and thus go ..FASTER. woo.

Sidenote - Scott Lee's book, Playing The Body - Playing The Bass has some [email protected] warmup excercises for fast playing. I have been referring a lot to them as I dig into this craze-o uptempo stuff and I would really recommend them. He's intot eh effortless mastery thing a bit and his excercises deal with training your fingers/body to play with the least amount of effort, to move economically and get the most boom for your shekels... Definitely a great book is anyone is interested. Might have to get them directly from Scott though, as I haven't seen them around too many places..

2. Norbie

Norbie

Feb 18, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Hi,

I've tried looking for the book that you suggested, but I
    haven't had any luck. When I google the author and title the only hit I get it to your post here on TB Forum....right back where I started again, although it's not too bad a place to be.

If you actually still have the book, would you mind looking for additional information on the book, such as the isbn and other info on the publisher so that I can impove my search.

Thanks so much. I'm a new player and I can feel that I am fighting the bass physically sometimes. I'd love to practice exercises that will improve my technique (and stop wearing me out unnecessarily).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kim

3. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Hey Kim,

I got mine directly from Scott - let me see about getting in touch with him as I haven't talked with him for a few years... Please feel free to email me so I don't forget! Lots going on these days...

Best,
    x

4. Norbie

Norbie

Feb 18, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Thanks alot! I'll look forward to hearing from you again with the info.

I've made a commitment to myself to work very hard over the course of this next year to improve my playing. (not that it will stop there...but I'm really pushing myself right now). So I'm kind of collecting as many good resources as I can find to help me on my journey.

That book sounds like a good one because I have noticed that I actually ache as I play sometimes....and I can feel myself wearing out and trying to hold on until the end of the song, and if I get really tired I make more mistakes. Then as I work with it the same song becomes easier- but it is so physical that it reminds me of a sport sometimes.

And I'll bet that your friend will be happy to have his book posted on this forum too. Perhaps others will be interested in it as well. If I get it, I'll write back again with hopefully good stories of the results.

Maybe the double bass is really challenging...or maybe I'm just a wuss! hee hee

Thanks again,

Kim

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021