Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leaps and bounds

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Jace The Bass, Nov 26, 2004.

1. I sort've double posted here so bear with me

Anyway I was sightreading this cello book the other day and it had some rather large interval leaps
    ie: F# ( 2nd fret E-string ) to a high G ( 12 fret G-string ) also it happens quite regulary this is just one of many large shifts
    So I'm trying to figure out some ways to overcome this barrier of sightreading large intervals without looking at my fretboard
    Have you any ideas and if so how did you overcome this problem
    BTW- I appreciate all your expert advice one day I wanna be able to share my knowledge to others in the manner that you do
    PS * I'm using a 4 string

Cheers again MIKE

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    A few things to keep in mind.
    1. A cello is tuned in 5ths not 4ths. Therefore some of those jumps are considerably easier on cello. I know that doesn't help you though

2. It is Ok to look in order to get your bearings on the fretboard.

3. Preparation is the key. By giving yourself as much lead time you can get better prepared for what is ahead. Once you know the line your in, start to look ahead, get ready for any jumps

4. I use a technique called Scale Forms (that I am currently writing a book about). One of the main ideas is to play EVERY note in a given key in a single position (not just a scale or mode). When I am reading I will look at the highest and lowest notes in the piece and see if there if there are one or two positions that I can play most, if not all the piece in. If there are big jumps, I might try to play in a position that allows easy access in either direction.

Hope this helps

Mike

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hey Mike, it's been a while since I've spammed your threads, so here i am :smug: .

Anyways, I second what Mike suggests. Scale forms are the way to go, but if you want to keep the low F# and the high G, it might be worth just practicing large jumps like that so you feel comfortable moving your arm that quickly and not overshooting the target note.

EDIT: Or you could just get a 7 string, and play the F# open :D