Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Learn English, the Japanese Way!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  2. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
  4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm glad there's a place for Japanese people to learn such common American words as "harakiri" and "samurai."

brad cook

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    These things were a daily occurrence when I was living in China. The majority of translated signs have errors...many of which are inadvertently hilarious.

brad cook

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LOL! That site is hilarious!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    When reading them, do you naturally do it in a Japanese accent, or is that just me?

My mate did that aswell, in IT this morning was teaching him from a site my daily haul of 'hello, goodby, goodmorning and I'm hungry' and every time he read it form the page he screamed it in a simpsons style steretpye of the Japanese :D

8. My brother was telling me about a place in Japan where the sell substances that are not yet illegal (ie legal drugs). But they have a sign that says, "Regal Drugs." :D

9. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wow!! God comes as coffee now!!:D

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Clutch. So clutch.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

THE WINNER!!!! :D

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This thread cannot go by without me posting my potty directions that were in the hotel room I stayed in while I was traveling in Thailand. I've posted it before but you can never see this one too many times.

[​IMG]

brad cook

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If I had a better memory I could go on and on about the hilarious jacked up signs that I saw in China.

At one park there was a sign directing you to "Deer Fart."

Stationery and cards always made for a good laugh too. They love sending each other things with english on them. I went to a nicer restaurant and they gave each customer stationery. Mine had english writing on it that said "What's up? Why you look so sad? Letsmile look so happy!!" That's not even the best of the stationery I saw but it's the only one I can remember. I also saw lots of "No Spitting" signs (which were rarely adhered to by the locals).

Some of the DVD's I saw for sale included "Trainsporting," "Bridget Jones's Dialy," and "Fout Welling and a Funetal" (I'll translate the last one - "Four Weddings and a Funeral.").

Once again...all this is just the tip of the iceberg.

brad cook

14. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    For those of you who understand electrical wiring schematics and components:

[​IMG]

15. What the heck is a demaltiplexer? And why does it have a connection with a D Frip Frop?

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

16. So THAT's why I didn't do so well in Electronics last year...all my diagrams contained obscure components like Flip Flops and demultiplexors...