1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Learned" a new amp myth today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by YuppyPunk, Mar 27, 2013.

1. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    The world of amp myths seems to be an endless spring of nonsense. Today a co-worker of mine tried to tell me that adding more speakers makes a rig quieter. The "reasoning" is that each speaker gets less power.
    :crying:

2. BWAAHAHAHA. Does this person also think bringing home a new girlfriend will make your current wife/girlfriend really happy? :D
    See if light passes straight through their ears. :)

3. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    I was thinking of when I saw Dinosaur Jr how ungodly loud J's 3 Marshall stacks were and image how much louder it would be with a single 12 cabinet.

If only the myth were true, we'd all be gigging 110's.

4. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    To be fair, this seems ridiculous to us because we already know it's wrong. If I knew nothing about acoustics or electronics at all and I was just a simple guy who just played, never fussing about my gear or rig, I can almost guarantee that I'd buy this on face value.

I don't know if I'd believe that the amp would be quieter, but If someone said "Yeah if you have a 300 watt amp, there are only so many watts so if you had a 300w 410 and a 600w 810 both cabs would push the same volume because you can't exceed the amount of watts the head has".

It's not so outlandish that someone would believe that. Not even slightly.

5. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Exactly.

6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    And yet, clearly there's an efficiency threshold, yes?
    And most of our amps are WAY above that efficiency threshold.
    It gets more complicated with 'modern' amps that can drive X watts into 8 Ohms and (nearly) 2X watts into 4.

But if I'm driving a 410 with a 1-watt amp - yeah - I can believe it'll get quieter if I try to drive 2...

Or is this just more myth? 'cause if it is, I'll sell my 1000W amp and buy a 1W amp - and another 410...

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If the cabs are out of phase ...
    Or placed out of phase

8. There is a point of diminishing return. Be it 1 watt of power into a large number of speakers or a large amount of power into a small number of speakers. The world is not just black or white, there are a lot more colors to be observed. Even quite a few as human's we can not "see". ;)

1 watt into two efficient 410's could still be very well louder than one. On the other side inefficient 410's could be quieter.

9. Then there's those crazy combos with series extension cab wiring.

10. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

You guys must work at Guitar Center.