Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Learned "machine gun triplets" today

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Today I got that "slap bass program" with Alexis Sklarevski... Great video.. but today i was going through it.. and i learned "machine gun triplets"... I can do them once in a while when i try but sometimes it just doesn't click or I miss it.. any way I could get this to sound solid like Alexis does?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Um, you got the video TODAY. You started the technique TODAY. The only way it will come naturally is through practice, practice, eating, and more practice. Practice it every day, and come back in a week and tell us how you're doing.

Patience, grasshopper.

3. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    ..... im just realllllllllllly excited hehe..
    i didn't know what to call em at first before i played bass (i knew it was slapping) but anyway.. ive always wanted to do em and now i sorta can.. there sounding better (fast learner) *trying not to brag* wooo

4. mesabass

mesabass

Jun 26, 2002
    new orleans
    what is this machine gun thing?:p

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    [​IMG] :D

6. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    The really scary thing is, I can do the 'machine gun' thing WITHOUT a LH slap:cool: :D

Ahhhh the joys of a misspent youth.

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what is this "machine gun" gimmick?

is it just triplet sixteenths going

T-LH-P ?

in that case there can be lots of "machine gun triplets"

D-U-P (downstroke w/thumb, upstroke, pop)

T-Pi-Pm (slap, popw/index, pop w/middle finger)

etc.

hrmm...

8. frankosaurus

frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
    yep, but the fingering is like this:

T-LH-T-P

The pop is an eighth note. The LH and second T are muted.

-frank

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Great technique... unless of course you use it more than once per set!

10. Eyeman

Eyeman

Sep 17, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    another way to get this sort of effect is to take your ring finger on your right hand and stroke in sucksestion with the right hand fingers. So its a regular stroke ring-middle-index. The key is to not think of each finger moving with each part of the beat, but think of the three of them as a single unit that has to take up a beat and they will divide evenly.its not that "funky" but it is veru "machine gun"

11. Ketch27

Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    IL
    I do my version of 16th triplets as a open hammer pluck type thing. Thumb (open string)-Hammer-Thumb again right away. Then pop/pluck whatever.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

:eek: Is this some strange sexual perversion or just the worst spelling ever seen, on a board like this!!?? ;)

13. ;) No bruce, it's the new studio sessions those american guys are doing! Should be here by late August, not quite sure if they've started waterproofing the soundbooths yet :rolleyes:

i've had chris Cover my overwater in PVA glue

Stu (wearing wetsuit in anticipation)

14. Eyeman

Eyeman

Sep 17, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    i'm sorry, did I offend you? I meant to write "succession"

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, I don't think you have "learned" machine gun triplets from what you say, Nick. I think you just know what they are, for now.

After all, that lesson is one of the more advanced techniques in the video. Although Alex never comes out and says it, what the video makes one realize is that "practice, practice, practice" is the key ingredient. There's no "software to download" or "answer key" to follow that will make anyone instantly successful at the techniques shown on the video.

Also, one thing he doesn't cover that I feel he should have is --- having your bass set up for good slap and pop.
    If your bass/amp can't produce the crisp, articulate, slap and pop sounds he demonstrates, if the action isn't good, if your hand position stinks, et al, the viewer simply won't sound like he does on his Spector (a very slap-friendly bass with its EMG's).

Maybe this will be some consolation - I can very rarely use machine gun triplets in a band setting.
    - For one thing, your bass has to be out in front of the mix for anyone beisdes you to appreciate them.
    - Also, notice he is just playing in a 3-piece with no vocals on the video. His bass dominates the mix. IME, that doesn't happen much in the 'real world."

Don't get me wrong - machine gun triplets sound very cool. But they mainly just entertain me or passers-by in a music store when I try out a bass.

16. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i'm sorry, but i still don't understand how a machinegun triplet is executed even after reading what has been posted here. could anyone explain? it sounds like a very interesting techinque that i would like to get aquainted with

-jimbo

17. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    I'm not sure if I know what you're talking about, but a guy showed me what I think you're talking about last thursday. Sometimes I do it and I'm like, wow, that sounded good. And other times I'm like...that sucked. Heheh.

When I practice them I start out really slow and do it and keep gradually bulding up to where I'm going to fast where I can't do it right.

18. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    <Maybe this will be some consolation - I can very rarely use machine gun triplets in a band setting.

You can use 'em when you want to play Iron Maiden covers with a funk rhythm section.
    :D

19. 4string_assasin

4string_assasin

Jul 18, 2002
    Very cool move gets very simple after a week. I found that practicing that simple thing where you mute the strings with ya left hand and just go up and down the two sets of strings tap tap tap tap then adding different things like both fingers popping and little variations after a while you get so much quicker