Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Learned My Notes On The Fretboard

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kalo, May 3, 2005.

1. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Hi All,

I have learned all my notes on the fretboard. I know where to find them quickly without having to count and search for them...

My problem is when I am playing I still think more in patterns then let's say A C# E G, etc. I CAN NOT think notes fast when playing in real time (playing a song).

However, when I slow down and play patterns I know that I am playing A, C#, etc.

Is this common problem amongst bass players not to be able to think notes fast when playing in real time? Do I just need to more experience?

Thanks Kalo!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just keep at it man. There's a difference between sight reading (finding notes in real time) and just finding them. You gotta hit them at the right time. It's harder, and just takes a little bit more practice.

After four years, I still have problems with complex rhythms sight read.

3. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks for the response...But I can't sight read yet....I don't know how....

I mean when playing in real time playing arpeggios and scales I can not think the notes fast enough even though I know what they are on my neck and theory wise...

Kalo!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Do you have a teacher? He/she should be able to teach you to read, and sight read. It's the best practice for learning the fretboard like second nature.

If you don't, best bet is to get one. Really.

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    no worries. just keep at it. after awhile it becomes second nature.

i know very little about this theory mumbo jumbo, i just know where i need to be to get the sound i want. :D

quick edit: just noticed that this is my 666th post. weird.

6. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Well, I had a teacher, but he charged waaaay to much for 1/2 hour of lessons....Plus, what some of you are saying that sight reading is going to help me learn how to play notes fast in real time? Hmmm?

I understand that sigh reading can help one play in real time while reading a score of music, but that's not what I am talking about....

I am talking about just jamming and stuff that I am having trouble finding the notes fast in real time....Believe me when I say I know them pretty well...

It's just when I jam I can't think notes fast in real time...

Maybe, like DougP says "It just takes time"....

7. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Hi Cetecea,

I think you are right in sense...When jamming one probably isn't going to think of EVERY note...

I kind of think that it is impossible for a person's mind to be thinking A, C#, E and then I am going to the D when jamming...

Your right in the fact that when figuring out the song it might be important to know the notes your playing and the same goes for composing...But jamming I think is different...

Thanks for your response, Kalo!

8. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Even learning a song one might not think about what notes are playing. I'm new to bass, I still have to learn the fretboard better. I have the first 5 frets memorized almost to the point that I can play a note on que.

However, I picked up a McCartney bass line dvd. Teaches bass line for sever Beatles songs. The way he (the instructor) does it makes sense. He says something like "Now play a G (chord)arpeggio then a run down to C (chord), then fifth" , So you'd end up palying G, B, D, C#,C , G without thinking about the notes, except for G and C, where you start and have to go to.

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    maybe what you should focus on here is learning the patterns of scales. that way you dont have to think about each individual note.

just a thought to throw out there. talk amongst yourselves. :)

10. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    I know most of the patterns to my arpeggios, but I thought a bass player is supposed to know all the notes when creating or jamming bass lines....UGH, this is sooo confusing...LOL!!!!

Patterns are cool, but aren't they somewhat limiting if one doesn't know the all the notes inside while playing...

I learned my note spellings and know how to build up chords....My problem is when I am playing I am thinking I have to know that I am going to A C# E G and then I am going to G B D F#....

Kalo!

11. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    you'll need to know both actually. the patterns are something you will learn by learning the scales. patterns are a by-product of how the scales work out. i dont know really know how to put it in words, but when someone asks you to play in A Harmonic Minor, as long as your fingers/muscle memory knows the patterns, your brain will have more time to work on the groove rather than thinking about the individual notes.
    atleast thats how my two brain cells work.

hope this makes some sort of sense. the main thing to take away from all of this is to keep at it. it's like any other thing, the more you work at it the more rewarding it gets and the more rewarding it gets the better you get because you love it.