1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

learned yet another thing about setting up basses...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by joebar, Jan 3, 2017.

1. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I have had a strange phantom buzz on my new G&L M2000 around the 10th fret, A string. for the life of me, I couldn't figure out the source. frets are plekked and flat, strings are new, relief is where it should be etc.
    the action wasn't terribly low like some of my other basses, yet I had this buzz.
    one thing I never checked- PU height. (I never did adjust it from the factory).
    it did seem high, and I know the MFD's are known to be powerful.
    I lowered them a tad and the buzz is gone; the PU's were dragging the string down a tad just enough to fret out. I should mention-it only happened when I fretted at the 10th fret; this brought the string really close to the pole pieces.
    anyone else have a similar thing happen?
    I thought I would pass it on because naturally, it was the last thing I considered.

2. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Huh. That's something to think about right there.

I do my own setups and only send my bass into the shop for fret work and such. A couple years ago I had a stingray that had this really annoying buzz that my tech guy chased around the fretboard, trying to level the frets out. We'd think he nailed it, I'd tune up and play, only to find the buzz on the next fret over, or on the next string. It never occurred to me to take a look at the pickup height to see if it was dragging the string down. I tend to think of that more in the "tone" side of things, for some reason and not in the "functional" side of it.

I ended up selling that bass. I wonder if I might have kept it, if I had adjusted those pickups...??

joebar likes this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Hmmm, that's new on me, but makes sense. I'm not sure I've ever noticed high pickups creating fret buzz, but I've experienced the distortion and chorusing from the magnetic interference plenty - my technique for setting pickup height is to raise them until they distort then lower them again until they don't. :)

SilGarzaJr likes this.
  4. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I dunno- all I know is it's gone.