Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Learnin Bass...

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by lomer, Mar 21, 2005.

1. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah gday I'm new to these forums so I hope this is in the right area... Firstly I am 19 years old and have wanted to learn the bass for ages, but all my mate's are muso's and keep telling me I'll get bored with it, i'm pretty sure I won't as I have wanted this for a long time and my grandfather also plays bass and says it's great... Also does anyone think I'm a bit too old to start learning, anytime I mention I wanna start takin lessons people say "aren't you a bit old for that" or "you won't last".... what does everyone think????

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I have students who staredt in their 30's, 40's and 50's. It's only too late if you bother listen to thoise who say so. Go For It!

Mike

3. You're only 19 and you think you're too old????!!!! Heck, I'm 41 (ssshhh - don't tell anyone) and female and I've got 4 kids, and I only started learning a year ago. If I can do it anyone can! (BTW I'm told I don't look 41, even made sure I had a new hairstyle to make sure I don't look "mumsy" :D !!!) I now play in a church band, and I love it. OK, I had a bit of a headstart as I already know a lot of the theory as I have been playing keyboards for years, however theory is easy enough to learn if you get a good bass teacher. But, passion is the word here, you've got to be passionate about it, or it will become a chore. Having said that, it's very easy to get passionate about playing bass (my husband knows this, he doesn't get too much attention any more!) Don't listen to anyone telling you what you can't do, prove them all wrong, you won't regret it, I promise! :bassist: :bassist:

4. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    thanks for the encouragement, I think I tend to develop a "**** you I'm gonna do it despite you" attitude most of the time just to prove people wrong anyways... I am definately gonna look into some lessons this week I think :)

5. I started at the age of 28 and attended the National Guitar Workshop where I was fortunate enough to study (briefly) with Mike Dimin. I had a blast! You're never too old to start groovin'.

:cool:

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Eric,
    Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. Make sure you let me know if you're playing in the capital district

Mike

7. Jpat

Jpat

Mar 13, 2005
    Leonardville Kansas
    I started playing bass when I was 13. I got passion for it when my first band ditched me because I sucked. I made a comeback after 4 months of "independent study" and showed them how much they sucked. After that they wouldn't stop knocking on my door. The point is passion for bass is a key to learning it. A guitar player can play bass, but he is not a bass player. You won't get bored I promise. :bassist:

8. Sweet_T

Sweet_T

Apr 5, 2005
    Orem, UT
    I am 36 and female, not very common as a bassist appearently. I got my bass as a christmas gift from my husband. I started taking lessons in february. I have to admit I suck, but at least I am trying. I am not sure I know of any bands that want a 30-something mother of 5 playing bass for them, but wouldn't that be a kick. :cool:

9. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    If you want it, go for it. When my students are taking a risk; I usually ask them, "What's the worst that could happen?"

Joe

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I have students that come to me all the time wanting me to show them how to play some Vic Wooten lick or Jaco thing. My standard response is "You will never play Vic's lines as well as Vic, on the other hand, Vic will never play your lines as well as you!"

Don't knock yourself, I am sure you are already doing some pretty cool stuff. Stick with it ... and we are here to help

MIke

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    As I was going in to record my first CD, I called a friend of mine and asked her if she knew a Sax player who had that Paul McCandless vibe. She said, "why not just call Paul, the most he can do is say 'no'". Well, he said yes and he made a good CD into a great CD.

Mike

12. Mike, he made a great CD into a better CD

13. a woman showing her age ::gasp:: :eek:

14. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    don't pay attention to what they say. If you are sure you are really into playing the bass, then do it.

When I first started, it was becuase my parents couldnt pay for violin lessons anymore and I wanted to play music. I learned some theory on my own and played a little bit, but never realyl got excited about it. Then my friend wanted to start a band, and couldnt find a bass player, I said I could play a little bit, and now, in another band, I played a progressive rock festival and playing a state festival in a improv band ( all made up on stage ). I am 17.

In other words, who knows what will happen, But if you want to play, then play! :D

15. Hehehehe!! I might even post a picture of myself sometime, just so you can gasp at how beeyooooootiful a 41 year old bass playing chick can be :p :p

Age doesn't matter - passion and attitude is all you need, and I got plenty of both :smug:

Now - is there a band in Auckland, New Zealand looking for someone like me - I seriously doubt it :crying: so I guess playing in our worship team is as exciting as it's going to get! Oh well, I'll just carry on playing through my cd collection - I'm a legend in my living room! Wooohooo!! :bassist:

16. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Hi Lomer!

I think I'm in a similar position - I am 21 and have literally just started learning (see my sig!). I was thinking the exact same - people will think I'm too old, or just doing it because its cool, or, or.....

Eventually i just thought 'To hell with it' and now I'm having loads of fun! Doing something new is such a rush!

So i say go for it! let us know how you go on! :)

17. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    When do you find time to practice with 4 kids? I have a 1 year old boy and a baby on the way in 1 month. My practice time has seriously diminished, but for good reason :D. What's your secret?

Playing in a church band is a good gig. It is something that I would like to do and will probably do very soon. Church is a great place to lay down a groove and make a collective booty move. :bassist:

Joe

18. jasonc

jasonc

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Nah, you're not too old. I started playing when I was 23. Had no idea what I was doing. I've been in bands before just as a vocalist and some guys wanted me to start a band with them and play bass. I said okay, and bought a cruddy used bass and amp. Taught to my self (enought to "get by") for the 3 days before our first practice, just getting familiar with the fretboard and certain notes (which I didn't know any names of them - or anything for that matter). Anyhow, bands still around, I'm a whole lot better playing and I still love it.... It's been 5 years now and certainly don't regret "taking a chance". Viva la DIY!

19. It's not easy to find time when your kids are so young, so don't stress about it Joe plenty more years left of bass playing in Ya! But you will always find a way of making room for your passions :bassist: My kids are all at the stage where they can look after themselves. They know they are wasting their time trying to get any sense out of me when I'm playing my bass, I apparantely have the "In the Zone" look, that nothing can get through!! My bass is just there on it's stand next to the sofa with that permanent "come hither" look, and I just can't help myself. I play it when I'm in the middle of cooking (waiting for the potatoes to boil or similar), when I'm watching tv, when I'm reading the newspaper even! But I appreciate it could be hard leaving your bass out when you've got very young kids. The thought of it being pulled over or sticky fingers touching it :eek: So yeah, my secret, in short is to neglect your family - but I don't suggest you incur the wrath of your partner by following my advice :D

Oh, yeah, and church IS DEFINITELY a great place to play bass, but you have to find time to practice, or it shows when you go to band rehearsals - woohoo! - another excuse to play some more!

20. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    :D I have that "in the zone" look all the time! :D I sometimes keep a bass in the living room, but I always keep one in the bedroom. The image of a hip mom playing the bass and cooking potatoes should be on the cover of a magazine! Thanks for the reply and the most colorful posts I've ever seen on TB :) :bassist: :)