learning a foreign language

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cecile, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Do you guy know of any good computer programs that are good ways to learn a foreign language? I've heard some good things about Rosetta Stone, has anyone here ever used the software? btw, the language I'm wanting to learn is Russian
  2. I'm using Pimsleur right now to learn Spanish and it is VERY effective... the two methods (Pimsleur vs Rosetta Stone) are a lot different, but the advantage of Pimsleur is that you can listen to it in your car. It's almost subliminal in the way that it works - it teaches you to think in the language, rather than just regurgitate grammar that you've learned, which is the way that it's taught in high school.

Anyways, look into it, I highly recommend it.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I just check out the free stuff on the internet from places like about.com.

4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Thankfully, Russia is still one of those places that is somewhat easy to go get a job in (compared to the EU, that's a toughie). My suggestion is that you go work in Russia for a couple of years and you will pick it up.

You know you've started to acquire another language when you dream in that language. When I lived in Austria for a bit, I was dreaming in Österreichisch, which is a different language than High German, by the way. ;)
  5. There are two basic theories of second language acquisition: the "immersion" method and the "academic grammar" method. The immersion method says you learn the language by going where it is spoken and totally immersing yourself in it. The academic grammar method says that you learn the language by studying how it is structured and then putting the pieces together. Neither one is sufficient by itself. Infants and children up to about 5 years old seem to have an ability to absorb grammar with very little formal instruction. After 5 this ability seems to rapidly fade away and more formal instruction is necessary. After working with several languages, both on my own, as a student, as a parent and grandparent and as a tutor, my opinion is that most people make the most rapid progress by starting with some sort of auditory program, such as tapes, CDs, personal conversation instruction or immersion in the actual environment and then need grammar instruction to develop an understanding of how the language is structured. Speaking, listening, reading and writing are four distinct processes and each needs to be developed in different ways. Use as many senses as possible and include physical activities to help reinforce your learning. For example if you are learning the expression "over there", make a dramatic pointing gesture with your hand and arm. The more senses you involve in learning any activity the faster you will develop facility.

Pimsleur seems to be the most popular of the auditory programs available today. I've had better programs, but they are no longer in business. If I wanted to learn a new language I would get lots of different resources. Make a committment to the language and not the resource or method.
  6. if you can afford it, join a course, it'll be way better than learning from the computer
  7. the ASL class i'm doing is a little of both -- the instructor is deaf, but the video course is for the hearing.