1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Learning about your amp, newbie questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The_Orlonater, Feb 22, 2008.

1. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
    Hello TB, I was just wondering if there is a website or a thread here on TB that can teach me about amps and how they work. I really don't have a clue about most of things you guys discuss over amps, so I guess I want to learn. I just want to learn more about heads and cabinets so if I'm in a band in the future and need a bigger amp and equipment I should know everything about the amp. I just don't understand the specs on amps.

Oh yeah, as you noticed I'm not a very good explainer...:meh:

Anyway, some help would be appreciated.

2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    There's no "miracle thread" that will explain everything there is to know. It takes time to know what all those numbers mean.

There are some sticky's at the top of the forum that may help you out.

3. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    ^now that's what i call a sticky situation!

does this joke work? ... didn't think so.. :p

4. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Nope.. sorry :meh::D

5. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    i had a bit of a giggle

6. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Some general things so you know what/how to ask about stuff...

-There are tube heads and solid state heads, and for various reasons they sound and handle power differently. For example, 300 tube watts is much more impressive than 300 solid-state watts. There are other differences, but I'll leave well enough alone at this point.

-Wattage is the amount of power the amp puts out. More wattage is generally thought of as being louder and more powerful, and there are two expressions of this wattage rating: There's rms, which means what the amp puts out for power 'continuously', or on average over a period of time; then there's peak power, which is to say the amount of power it puts out for a short burst of violent activity- this will be a higher number.

-Ohmage refers to impedance load (i.e., "resistance"). Think of this as a regulating number, which only allows so much of the amp's power through the system at a time... preventing the amp from toasting various components of the system. If you let all the juice through at once there are parts of the amp that would fry, see? Amps and speaker cabs have this ohmage rating, and they need to be matched correctly so that power is properly handled by the amplifier. There will be a better explanation soon because of this lousy one of mine!

-This'll get you started. Read some posts, go shopping for an amp- that'll give you some schooling. Just learn to discern between sales-hype and real specs!