1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Learning as an adult vs learning as a young person.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by orange joe, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Wissen

Wissen

Nov 11, 2007
    Central PA
    I believe it all depends on mindset.

When I was a kid I loved playing music in school groups, and I took all of the music classes my school offered, and then I went to college and got a music degree. But the problem with teenager Dave is that he didn't understand the value of practice, nor did he possess the discipline required to excel.

I'm in my 30s now and I decided to pick up a new style of music and therefore a bunch of new instruments. I made a million times more progress on those instruments in just three years than I did on trombone and bass in ten years when I was a kid, because I am much more deliberate and diligent about practice. It is true that all of that foundational work as a kid made learning these new instruments easier. But I had all that in my head back then, too.

So if teenager Dave could have old person Dave's mindset, he maybe coulda done something in the music world.

Anyone can learn and comprehend. If he/she wants to. That's what I believe.

That said, I also believe in aptitude. I have high musical aptitude. I do not possess high mathematical aptitude or other artistic aptitude. Our brains are all different, and some topics are easier to grasp than others. I will never understand electrical engineering concepts behind amplifiers, cabinets, and pedals. I just don't have a mind for that stuff. That could be the roadblock many people run into. They could just lack musical aptitude. I also believe that.

I guess those two ideas are pretty contradictory, aren't they? I might have to continue thinking on this a while...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  2. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Teenager's Dave and Guy probably would have gotten along.