learning at home?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassplayingfool, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Id love to learn to make basds guitars but is there anyway I can learn at home? Any home courses, good books, videos?
  2. Theres oodles upon oodles of info around, heck, the internet has enough info alone to keep you occupied for months on end. Spend a few hours looking through the info here and you'll get what I mean.

However my dad told me once, you can read as much as you want but until you put it into practise it doesn't count for diddly. I'm entering the practise stage within the next few weeks, having spent many an hour searching and researching stuff that I need to know. Still so many questions...

Josh D
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Search Talkbass for Hitchcock, Koch, MIMF....
    Do the reading, build a crap bass or two, and then get started.
    Can you do it at home? Yes, you don't need all the tools they recommend. You must have some gadget to hold your pieces when working on them, some clamps for gluing and some other, rather obvious gear (if not obvious: keep off!). A router, band saw and drill press will make you better, but hand tools actually do the same trick - and you learn more about woods...

Read and try!

Oh, BTW...expect no profit from making instruments, except the contentment of actioally having done it...