Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Learning backwards.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by freddylang, Jan 23, 2001.

1. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    I've been playing seriously but by ear for about a year and a half. In the past week I decided to start teaching myself how to play with the fundamentals. So I've been sitting with my Mel Bay beginner's book learning my notes and scales from scratch. This is a humbling experience. My hands were actually sore from putting them in unfamiliar positions even though I play every day! I plan on going through most of the book, getting solid on all the basics and then finding a great instructor to help me get to the next level. I'm hoping I can get through the book in 6 weeks or so. Has anyone else learned this way? Sort of backwards huh? Any advice for the rude-awakening of thinking you were better than you are? :~)

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think "backwards," as you call it, can be totally effective because that's how I did it. Not only did I use Mel's books but I took lessons at his store's studios in Kirkwood, MO. I was already playing somewhat advanced lines for someone who had never had a lesson. Once I endured the formal basics the teachers required of me, we could really step on the gas and instead of learning, "Red River Valley" and "Long, Long Ago," it was on to more "useable" stuff.

As for the "rude awakening of thinking you are better than you are," I just pop in the video of Claypool playing that break in "Lacquer Head" and I'm sucking my socks.

3. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    There's nothing like some Manring to make me feel like I've never played before! Claypool's "Is It Luck and Jerry Was a Race Car Driver" are two of the main reasons I ever started playing.