Learning Bass Lines

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kalo, Aug 6, 2003.

1. kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    My goaled is to copy basslines and learn different styles and hopefully build up a playlist.

My question is is it better to learn one song and then move onto to the next song or is it okay to learn a couple of basseline to different songs that are not yet completed. My teacher gave me a song by Rare Earth Called Get Ready and I have learned the whole thing and now he gave me a Jackson 5 bass line which has James Jamersons playing on it and the song is called "I want you back" I am currently learning that song and I am almost done with it. I am also learning a Chili Peppers song called Walkabout and I know the intro and the first verse. What do you all think, should try to learn as much as possible or slow down and just learn one song every two weeks. Thanks, Kalo!:bassist:
  2. ClarkW

Aug 1, 2003
    Provo, UT. USA
    If it's early in your playing career, you'll probably get burned out by rehashing a single line over and over for two weeks until it's note-perfect with the recording.

If you're prepping the song for a show, then sure, do that.

Otherwise, when you're in an exploratory phase of learning, you'll want to get a line to the point where you know all the notes, and you can play it pretty much perfectly sometimes, then move on. Revisit that line regularly, maybe one run-through every other week. That way, you won't get tired of it, you'll be able to expose yourself to a good amount of material, but you will also be putting enough time into each line to actually learn something from it.