Learning bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Arzakyum, Apr 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hey guys,

I've been playing drums for over 7 years and I've always wanted to learn other instruments, a couple of years ago I grabbed a cheap electric guitar and a second hand amp.

I have been playing both drums and guitar ever since, I've never had guitar lessons tho, all that I know I learned online or with "friends".

I always wanted to play the bass too, I remember being a little kid watching RHCP DVD's with my dad, and I was always impressed when I saw Flea play, probably because how he moved when he played, I didn't really know what was hard to play back then so the movement did it for me ahahah

Anyways, I really want to give the bass a try, but I don't know if I should? I don't know why?

And no, i don't want to play the bass because I'm bad at guitar, that's silly, I think the bass deserves more respect.

Basically, I really want to learn how to play the bass but I don't know if it's a good idea, should I go for it?

2. It is always a good idea to learn more about music and play different instruments to expand your experience. Playing other instruments will help you understand how it all fits together.

ColinLP and Arzakyum like this.
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    Flea's first instrument wasn't bass, either. Imagine if someone had told him, "Learn bass? No way; you should stick with trumpet!" ;)

I say, go for it! All of the best musicians I know have studied more than one instrument. Welcome aboard! :)

Arzakyum likes this.
  4. Thank you! i'll make sure to give my best! :)

5. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Go for it. Bass is a great instrument to learn. Knowing how to play it will give you the tools to compose music, as well as know how the bass and drums can create melodies and grooves. The only thing is finding a balance between the drums and bass, and allowing one or the other to stand out in a song.