Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Learning bass

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Yohan003, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Yohan003

Yohan003

Apr 28, 2001
    Canada
    I'm really interested in learning how to play the bass guitar. But I have no idea what brands are good and how many strings is best to learn with...stuff like that. Are there any websites you could you give me that might help me out with all this, and that also give basic lessons. Thanks!

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    GREAT! It is wonderful that you are looking to join the club. The most important thing in a first bass is that it is (or can be) set up to be relatively easy to play. Many student basses are impossible to play. It makes for a bad experience, is difficult on the hands and frustrating. It does not matter if you start on 4, 5 or 6 strings. The bass is just a tool to get the music that is inside you out. As long as you go about it with proper technique. One really nice, low cost bass, is the MTD Kingston - www.mtdbass.com

I am sorry to say that I am not really hip to all the bass web sites that give basic lessons. Check out the links page at www.daveonbass or www.bassplayer.com www.activebass.com and www.bassically.net

Mike