1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Learning Chinese (Mandarin)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Swakey, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Swakey

Swakey

Nov 26, 2012
    So yeah i'm learning Chinese. I would call myself a fast learner when it comes to languages and accents but still its not fast enough and i haven't yet made any Chinese friends (i've only been learning for a week though)

So i've been going through the internet looking for Chinese baby cartoons but i've only found one. Can anyone recommend me a few?

2. redname

redname

Apr 30, 2010
    try searching for taiwanese cartoons.

some good ways of learning mandarin are by reading mandarin comics and singing along to mandarin songs

3. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Some good suggestions above, and I'd recommend watching Chinese soaps or dramas - the dialogue is usually quite simple, and often follows a formula.

Finding someone to practice with is crucial, though: you won't retain a language as nuanced and complex as mandarin unless you are regularly tested and immersed.

Jia you!

4. ArtGuy9516

ArtGuy9516

Apr 10, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Chinese children's programs might be a good resource to access as well if they are anything like Sesame Street in the states. I would imagine that they would provide a lot of repetition of some basic concepts and ideas.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Go live in China. That helped my Chinese a lot. :)

bc

6. marywhite

marywhite

Jul 11, 2013
    Hey, I have been using this e-book for a while, and I think it good to help learn Chinese. I highly recommend this to you. Hope you'll enjoy it.
    http://www.huayuschool.com/experienceBook/en/index.htm

7. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    They speak Taiwanese in Taiwan, not Mandarin. Two completely different animals.

8. Nein most people in Taiwan speak Mandarin.

Someone can come in and correct me, but I think the Mandarin spoken in Taiwan is a little simplified