Learning experience...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Louse, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Louse

Aug 15, 2005
    Last night my band played a benefit gig for a friend that had a stroke a while ago. Many area musicians showed up and it basically turned into an open mike/jam session. I ended up learning a ton of songs on the spot and transposing some that I "thought" I knew. There were a couple of bass players there that reminded me of the old addage "there's always someone better". It used to frustrate me to see playing ability light-years beyond mine. But this time it has inspired me to work that much harder at getting better. In the end we ended up raising over 10,000$ to help with the guy's bills. (There was a silent auction and spaghetti feed.) Pretty neat to see a such support. (We're in one of those small communities where everyone knows everyone.) Just thought I would throw this out for anyone else that has felt frustrated and to show there are still good people in the world that can come together when it counts.

Man... Now I feel like hugging someone!! Heh heh...
  2. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    :-\ I love hugs.....
  3. Thats fantastic. There was something similar here for a double bassist who is suffering from tendonitis so can't play. It is his means of support so obviously not being able to work has left him in hard times. We came nowhere near to raising what you raised, roughly £700 but was only a small pub. Ours also ended up as a open mic jazz night.

Always great when things like this happen.