Learning from the fathers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by onadowner, Jul 10, 2001.

1. onadowner

May 23, 2001
    Howzit. Okay first off, I don't know if this post goes in Recordings, or Techniques....so I just followed my insinct. Anyhow, I'm in search of some good jazz, funk, or blues bassists to learn from or just use a reference. I'm not a old guy, still a pup, so I'm gonna need you older players on this one.

Call it wierd, but I'm actually one of the young folk these days that would rather learn from older more soulful music as opposed to nu-metal. Anywhere you can point me, instructional videos, websites, or plain cd's would help, all are good. And about the nu-metal comment....don't get me wrong, I'd just rather learn and develope elsewhere first. :)
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    check out

great site with lots of good lessons on all aspects of playing.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Older" R&B?

James Jamerson
    ...Standing In The Shadows Of Motown is a book/2-cd set that should keep you busy for awhile.

Chuck Rainey
    ...his stuff with Aretha Franklin(Young, Gifted, & Black) & Steely Dan(The Royal Scam & Aja).

Larry Graham
    ...Sly & The Family Stone & Graham Central Station.

Bootsy Collins
    ...the early stuff with James Brown("Sex Machine" era).

Verdine White
    ...Earth, Wind, & Fire(That's The Way Of The World, Spirit, All In All, etc).

Lequient "Duke" Jobe
    ...Rose Royce's In Full Bloom or "Greatest Hits"

Louis Johnson-
    ...The Brothers Johnson albums

Alan Gorrie/Hamish Stuart
    ...The Average White Band's "White Album"(w/ "Pick Up The Pieces"), Cut The Cake, Soul Searching, etc

Will Lee/Neil Jason
    ...The Brecker Brothers Band(the '70s releases).

Etc... ;)
  4. you can get a viedo about chris squire at active musican or the bass book by miller freeman or anything about paul mccarthy
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    was that the dude affectionately known as "Sen." McCarthy, of the Parliament spin-off band "Red Senate Hearings"?

just curious.
  6. whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    I thought you meant actually learning from your father. That's what I did. :D
  7. BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    You could always learn bass from a "MOTHER".

Sorry, I couldn't resist...
  8. rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    I would agree with the guy that posted about the James Jamerson book above. This is some advanced reading but if you can work through it, it will build you a huge vocabulary. And as far as soulful/funky playing for me it doesnt get any better than Jamerson.