Learning how to Record on my PC

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Mandobass, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I've been recording for the past year on my PC with a $20 sony mic(surprisingly it sounds pretty
    decent) lined directly into my computer. I record acoustic instruments as well as my electric bass.

my PC:
    del 1.5 Ghz P4
    256 ram
    60 gig
    soundblaster live

I use cakewalk SONAR to record/edit tracks.

I'm wanting to upgrade now.

I've been reading some posts and have found some good info but am still a little inquisitive about some things.

Soundcard: Upgrade to Audiophile 2496

Memory:Upgrade to 1 gig memory (let me know if i will notice any difference - keep in mind that memory is ridicously inexpensive right now)

Mic: Upgrade to Rode NT-1

Pre-amp-Direct Box - This is the area where i'm a little less sure about the precise upgrade. My assumption is that a Pre-amp/direct box powers the mic, amplifies the signal before it goes into the computer, and allows for the mic to be able to connect to my PC. is this accurate? I saw that the M-audio direct box was reccommended...any other suggestions?

program: cakewalk SONAR seems to work fine, so i'll keep that as is it is.

Anything i'm missing? do i need an external mixer?
    anyone have any reccommendations on simple things that really help a low budget studio (i.e. good pop filters)

Any input on this matter would help me a ton.
  2. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    MISSING!? Dude, i record with a $12 dollar mic, my amp, my bass, and my computer, thats it, go to http://obsolex.vze.com to hear it in the downloads section... _-soto-_
  3. Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

just wonderin...i saw the vze is a forwarding URL company. what company hosts your site?

im looking to make a similiar site.