Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Learning how to Record on my PC

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Mandobass, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I've been recording for the past year on my PC with a $20 sony mic(surprisingly it sounds pretty
    decent) lined directly into my computer. I record acoustic instruments as well as my electric bass.

my PC:
    del 1.5 Ghz P4
    256 ram
    60 gig
    soundblaster live

I use cakewalk SONAR to record/edit tracks.

I'm wanting to upgrade now.

I've been reading some posts and have found some good info but am still a little inquisitive about some things.

Soundcard: Upgrade to Audiophile 2496

Memory:Upgrade to 1 gig memory (let me know if i will notice any difference - keep in mind that memory is ridicously inexpensive right now)

Mic: Upgrade to Rode NT-1

Pre-amp-Direct Box - This is the area where i'm a little less sure about the precise upgrade. My assumption is that a Pre-amp/direct box powers the mic, amplifies the signal before it goes into the computer, and allows for the mic to be able to connect to my PC. is this accurate? I saw that the M-audio direct box was reccommended...any other suggestions?

program: cakewalk SONAR seems to work fine, so i'll keep that as is it is.

Anything i'm missing? do i need an external mixer?
    anyone have any reccommendations on simple things that really help a low budget studio (i.e. good pop filters)

Any input on this matter would help me a ton.

2. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    MISSING!? Dude, i record with a $12 dollar mic, my amp, my bass, and my computer, thats it, go to http://obsolex.vze.com to hear it in the downloads section... _-soto-_

3. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    howdy,

just wonderin...i saw the vze is a forwarding URL company. what company hosts your site?

im looking to make a similiar site.