1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Learning jazz

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Kügel, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Kügel

Kügel

Nov 2, 2006
    Belgium
    Hey everyone,

Just got a small question in regards to playing jazz on bass. I'm not used to playing jazz and I've got a song to learn by next sunday (Bluesette by Toots Thielemans). I've got the chord chart but I was just wondering how I play it best.

Do I begin with playing the root notes and later try adding other notes of scales which might fit?

2. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    depending on the speed of the tune perhaps
    if fast a 1 feel of roots
    if slow a 2 feel of roots and fifths
    or walking root fifth/third and approach notes/fifth or third

3. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I think I'm remembering correctly but that tune is kinda waltz feel in 3/4. Try roots on the 1, then sometimes on 3 an "approach" note. And keep in mind the melody. For example:

pn9ia.

Then experiment with different chord tones on the 1 or 3, or occasionally in-between, varying the rhythms.

4. Kügel

Kügel

Nov 2, 2006
    Belgium
    Alright thanks,

Been practicing it like that now and I'm sure I'll be able to get something good going by next week :)

Thanks!

5. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Its a great tune.....here is a moderate tempo with a jazz trio....have fun