1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

learning keyboards, bad idea or good idea?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vacume, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    I have an urge to play keyboards, but would this hurt or help me as a muscision? learning a new instrument might give me new ideas but then again, thats time i could be playing bass, what are youre thoughts?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Learning any instrument is a great idea, if you want to grow as a musician. Some day, when I have the time and the money, I am going to take piano lessons.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It can only help.

4. It definitely helps. Ideas you get on a keyboard can be applied to bass and vice versa

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Definitely helps.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    May not help you as a muscision. But we musicians can learn from it.

7. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Learning any other instrument will be a help to you. Learning keyboards would be the biggest help.

I was watching the Rufus Reid DVD yesterday (companion to his "Evolving Bassist") and he said that every good musician should be 'friendly' with the piano. By friendly he meant being able to use it as a tool to hear ideas and work with music, not be good enough to perform. I think he's right.

8. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Definitely a good thing.

9. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Not only will it help you with general music, it will also help you with the playing mechanics on a bass to work your hands the way you need to on a keyboard - if it is a real piano or at least a properly weighted keyboard. It will strengthen your pinky and ring fingers in ways that are hard to accomplish playing the electric bass, but in a very short time you will find that you can do more on the bass as far as intricate patterns. Playing the keyboard (even poorly) is one of the best ear and hand exercises you can perform.

10. Good idea, or bad idea?

"It's the Holy Grail of good ideas."

11. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I can't imagine how playing any instrument would hurt. Each has it's own unique voice, characteristics, approach, etc. that you'd eventually pick up on and that kind of fresh input would only make you better because it you'd have more ideas and experience to draw on. I always planned to learn keyboards after I got out of grad school but somehow never found the time over the last 15 years as life "happened". I wish I would have found a way at some point.

If you want to and have the time to devote to it, then do it! :bassist:

12. good i read this thread :)! my dad offered to buy me a yamaha keyboard and i was sorta not so sure about "should i go for it"
    but i had beem a lot more confident after reading and watching a couple of learn to play keyboards stuff and ofcourse talking to my teacher about it
    but this seals the deal i am getting the keyboard soon as dad hands me the money \m/

as i said above i was in the same fix but i am going for it:D

ps: maybe if you are too planning to learn to play it well then maybe we both can discuss the progress every few weeks or something what do you say?:bassist:

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you're going to learn another instrument, I would hazard to say that you can learn the most about music in general from keyboard/piano. It will definitely help your bass playing in general as you learn more about theory, chords, composition, etc.

BEWARE, though - the keyboard world has a dark side of the force, and that's gear with lots of knobs. Say what you want about guitar players and bass players, keyboard players are WAY worse when it comes to obessessing over gear. Check out the Harmony-Central forums sometime and see what I mean. No one over there talks about _playing_ keyboards, they just talk about keyboards. Don't get sucked into the gear!

I would recommend the piano forums at Piano World, though. Less gear talk, more playing talk. :)
    http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Marcus Miller expressed similar ideas at a clinic I saw him at in Maryland.

Learning the keyboard, at least having basic survival skills, i.e. understanding basic chord phrasing and inversions, being able to figure out a 7th, 9th, etc. chord, is an invaluable tool. My keyboard has sat unplayed for so long though.:meh:

15. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    im going through the same dilemma right now actually.

why keys and not just piano?

16. Learning any other instrument will benefit the playing of any other instrument. Just need to put in the time and effort, but even a little bit helps. --Kent

17. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Pianos are much more expensive, aren't they...

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    yes.

19. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    it's not a good idea. It's a PHENOMENAL idea.

20. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Learning drums and guitar have helped me in writing basslines.

Playing the piano is a great way to develop a good ear and dexterity.

Why not?