1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Learning Metallica in Lessons.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by WickedPissah, May 11, 2010.

1. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    Today I went to my bass lesson, and after exercises my teacher told me to pick a song to learn. I chose One by Metallica. We played it on the speakers to get a feel for the bassline. Part way in, we realize we can't hear any low end. My teacher's blaming the speaker, then it hits me. One is on And Justice For All! The bass is completely mixed out of that record. Oh, the things I learn from TB...Saving me a lot of trouble in the real world. Thanks, TB!

2. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    Lol, I kinda want to blur out, "FAIL!", though, I'm not entirely sure
    that it's appropriate in this context. :)

3. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    Follow the rhythm of the guitar and play the root note.

4. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Guaranteed way to suck at playing bass. If anything, they should be following you!!!

Same applies to drums, too. Worst ever is to be told to follow the kick drum for the rhythm, & follow the "rhythm" guitar for the chord. Whenever I hear that, I know I'm dealing with a sucky band. At least, then I know to say, "No, thanks."

5. fractiouslowend

fractiouslowend

Aug 5, 2009
    perth
    search for "...and justice for all (with original bass)" or "...and justice for jason" on youtube. There's a bunch of tracks with the bass in the mix.
    I've been a huge fan of that album for years despite the sucky sound, but now i can't listen to it without the bass in the mix, it just sounds so animal! :)

6. i dont recall that song being particularly interesting on bass. try something from kill 'em all. thats a workout.

7. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    Yep, you're right. That's why Jason Newstead's bass playing sucked on that album. That and the scooped sound. Jason has said more than a few times that James pretty much commanded him to follow the guitars on ....And Justice. He got a little more leeway on the Black Album and his sound wasn't scooped...waddya know, you can hear the bass. Look at the tab for just about any song on ...And Justice. The bass follows pretty closely to both the rhythm and the roots of the guitar chords. The OP asked. But yeah, I agree. FWIW I like Jason Newstead as a bass player.

8. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Big Jason fan here.
    Really love his playing on the Black Album, especially God That Failed and My Friend of Misery. Great tone, great playing, funny guy.

9. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    Fixed.

10. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Since the bassline is esentially nonexistent, you can play / write your own :)

11. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    your "imagined" bass part to "one" is probably better than the actual one. i liked jason in 'flotsam & jetsam', but his playing disappeared in metallica. he was paid well for being james' bitch.

12. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    im sorry ima sound like a troll and a fanboy here but cliff FTW...even tho ...and justice was one of my fav albums ever. Jasons playing on one was good if u ever herd the bassed up version of it the bass line for the song probably the only good work hes ever done for that band

13. flareaga

flareaga

Mar 1, 2007
    It's a shame because Jason's tone was MONSTER on that album.

14. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    Damn that was awesome!

15. To be honest it was only on AJFA that Jason wasnt heard. He got more space both in sound and creativity on every other cd he did with Metallica. There is nothing wrong wth the bass sound on either s/t or the loads.

16. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Here ya go, the 'One' bassline:

17. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Cliff WAS Metallica

18. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Good job on the "enhanced" bass though. Makes it 10 times better.

19. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bob Rock FTW.

c-

20. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    I never understood Metallica`s aversion to bass. All of their albums have the bass buried in the mix, the only difference being some more than others. And not just their albums, but live shows, too. I saw them last year in concert, and most of the time, Trujillo wasn`t even discernable in the mix. All you could hear was Lars` unnecessarily loud kick and Jame`s unecessarily Eq`d guitar. Between those two, they smother the bass` frequencies. Just sayin.....Metallica has had some great bassists, and their songs have some great lines. It`s just a shame they don`t let this shine through a little more often.