Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Learning new songs - Strange happenings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Ok, this may sound a bit odd. I'm wondering if anyone else find this to be true. I have a harder time learning songs with more of a so-called simple bass line than one that is a bit more complicated. I was playing along with some CD's the other day and found that it was somewhat difficult for me to play along with some of the material from the Live John Fogerty album. Now granted the rythem section on this album is Kenny Aronoff (one of my favorite drummers) and Bob Glaub (a master) but it was tough for me to lock into what they were playing, I don't know why. In contrast to that I put in Hold Your Fire (Rush) and I was able to pick up and play along with songs like Prime Mover, Time Stands Still, etc. Maybe it was just a weird day but I find this to be the norm more often than the exception. Just wondering if anyone else has expreienced anythig like this.

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    That happens too me all the time, but when I play with the band, i do fine, i dont know why, i guess i am just more alert when i'm playing with people.

3. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Exactly, when I playing with a band I usually have no problem either.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Let me proffer this guess as to why a simple bassline may be harder to play than a more complicated one is the same reason a slow bassline is often harder to play than a faster one...that reason being that every note counts in a simple or slow line and every note stands out.

Every slow note or simple note has to carry its own weight. The timing has to be exact, the intonation, the left and right hand tecnique need to be spot on. Any flaws in your technique show when you play slowly or simply. A more complex bassline can hide a multitude of sins.

If you are having more trouble with simple lines than more complex lines, that might be a special challenge to you to really work on some simple basslines. Your playing might actually improve faster that way, rather than tacking more difficult lines for awhile.

5. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Wow, great point. I think I remember reading something similar to that in Tony Levin's book but must have completely spaced it.