1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Learning new vocab ?

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by ML94, Jul 20, 2014.

1. ML94

ML94

Sep 11, 2013
    Hi Anthony,

I'm getting stuck on a certain aspect of my playing. I can sit down and play melodies that I 'Think' of but when I am playing with a group or put into a soloing context I keep playing the same stuff I already know ! How do you go about soloing what is in your mind and forcing you to think music when playing and not relying on muscle memory to solo for you ?

Thanks Again,
    Manny

2. It´s an interesting cuestion.

It´s necessary expanding the owner musical vocabulary to find news ways to express your self. It´s a hard work. The fist advice is that it´s necessary knowing all the wide neck and their positions to stay " in tune" with you are playing while you do a solo. The muscle memory it works but if you don´t take care you can repeat your self all the time. So it´s necessary exploring and finding a owner lenguage, and creating new muscle memory too. Maybe a short phrases or melodies that identify with your self instead to be a clone of some bass player.

When I do a bass solo I force my self and I try thinking in the music. A good idea it´s try conecting some bass phrases that I learned previously (studying in my home, trying in a jam,...) when another new melodies that I create in this moment. I get the inspiration of some ways like how I´m feeling the music in this moment, my own life or even in some new melody that I did in this time in this solo. I think that this is a good idea to give a continuity to your own melodies with another ones learned previously.

And if I take a mistake I don´t care too much. The mistakes helped me a lot in my bass solos. And I learned too that sometimes it´s possible dressing some "mistakes" making it part of this solo (like a kind of joke) for after resolving right way ;)