1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Learning on a 3/4 size bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Radioactive Toy, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Radioactive Toy

Radioactive Toy

Aug 17, 2012
    So I want to learn bass, my brother has a 3/4 size bass guitar that he got almost a decade ago and never used...he says I could use that. But I'm worried, would learning on it be worth it? Could I get into bad habits and would it be easy to transition to a full size?

I plan on getting a full size bass guitar for my birthday in October...from now until October should I start learning on the 3/4 size one, or wait?

2. Go for it. It wouldn't pose any harm in the long run. If you choose 3 or 4 different basses from a music shop wall, you'll probably notice difference scale lengths. Actually, you should do that before you select the instrument you'll receive for your birthday. Then you'll know which scale length feels best for you.

3. Radioactive Toy

Radioactive Toy

Aug 17, 2012
    thanks.

Any other opinions?

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I learned on a 3/4, a crappy old Korean made Regal. I didn't know it was short until I got my first Squier. You will notice a difference in size, it will be a much farther stretch, although the fundamentals are the same. There is nothing wrong with 3/4's, I'd say go for it and get a head start, by October you might not even be playing truthfully.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Go for it.

Are you talking about a 30 inch scale bass?

Some of us spend our lives on them.

6. Radioactive Toy

Radioactive Toy

Aug 17, 2012
    the scale lengths a bit shorter than that...roughly 28.5 inches.

I think I'm going to go for it though...appreciate all the help.

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Still fine. Enjoy it.