1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Learning on Acoustic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FingeringAm, Jul 22, 2008.

1. FingeringAm

FingeringAm Inactive

Jun 28, 2008
    So Cal
    is this a good idea? i think its better cause u can get a better quality bass cause u dont need to buy an amp - but is it harder to learn on an acoustic ? -i thought of this AFTER i started playing and spent near $500 and still need to upgrade everything - a $500 acoustic can go a long way if cared for properly which is y i thought of this - i want to mention this to my friend who is about to start and all those who are looking to start

thanks for your advice

2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier.. Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I personally wouldn't recommend that route. You have to compromise with action, size, etc., which for a beginner will limit some of the stuff they can do.

There are lots of threads here talking about very good entry basses (<$300, Squire, SX, etc) and from somewhere like Craig's list you can pick-up and amp that will work for learning easily for under $150. It might not be the prettiest amp but it will do what it needs to do!

The other thing to remember is that the way you are going to improve your skills fastest and also get the musicality side of things together, is by playing with other folks out there. In most starting-out band situations an ABG isn't going to cut it.

(I know I'm getting old because I can't hack the lack of punctution and the u's, y's and i's of txt messaging type typing! I know it's faster but it just ain't right :D)

3. BigKahuna13

BigKahuna13

Nov 21, 2004
    LI New York
    I owned a Michael Kelly Dragonfly acoustic for a number of years. They definitely make convenient practice basses - there's a lot to be said for not having to set up an amp - and mine worked doubly well since i practice in the small hours (4-5am). But my experience was that even in all acoustic settings it was hard pressed to generate enough volume without amplification. The body on the Kelly simply wasn't big enough push enough air around.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021