1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Learning Other Functions With The Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Araillac, Mar 16, 2008.

1. I have some questions that may be noob-like for the bass. I'm able to play but there's some technical stuff I just can't seem to find information for.

1. What is active and passive pick-up?
    2. How do you activate active (if that is what you do)?
    3. I've been looking at my amp and I can't seem to find the purpose of 3 knobs on there that say Low, Mid, and High.
    4. I have 2 knobs on my bass. One is volume, the other I'm not sure. If the amp has gain turned way up, if I turn one way, when it gets all the way to the other side, the sound seems to come from the amp. If I turn it away just a little bit and all the way over, it sounds like it comes from the bass. If the gain is lower, when the knob would make it seem sound was coming from the amp, sound seems to come from the body. In the other direction it sounds like it's coming from the head. Can someone tell me when this knob may be?

Thanks in advance.

:help:

2. bump

3. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    i think its a tone knob, but im no expert? wat bass is it?

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    1. Active pickups require batteries to power them, and usually have preamps built in (which also use that battery power) and they have (usually) higher output, and more tone-shaping capabilities than passive basses.
    2. You use a battery. Mostly one 9 volt.
    3. The low, mid, and high, are the 3 bands of equalization on your amp. The low knob will boost or cut the bass frequencies, the mid knob will boost or cut the midrange frequencies, and the high knob will boost or cut the treble frequencies.
    4. The first one is volume, the other is tone. when you turn that one up, you will get a more trebley, biting sound. when you turn it down, you get a more mellow, warm sound.

Welcome to TalkBass :)

5. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    It is also worth noting that with only a volume and tone control your bass is most likely passive.

Some basses have the ability to run in active or passive mode. This is usually done with a two position volume pot; pulling it up will activate the passive mode.

6. Alright cool, thanks guys. And I don't know what kind of bass it is. It was some brandless one I got off ebay. I'm getting a new bass Tuesday though. Ibanez SR300 :)