Learning Piano as an additional Instrument?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rodoherty1, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Hi Guys,

I recently passed my Grade 3 Rockschool exam and I'm looking forward to tackling Grade 4 in June. BUT .... !! I recently had a listen to their Piano Grade 5 and Grade 8 material and I was taken aback by the compositions. My first thought was ... I want to understand what's going on there !!

Anyway, I bought Rockschool Piano Grade 1 book and, although the pieces are dull (it's grade 1), I'm experiencing the same buzz I felt when I first picked up my bass 8 years ago. I'd like to have a shot at Grade 2 Piano and Grade 4 Bass in June but I'd first like to hear other people's experiences with learning a second instrument.

Has anyone out there picked up Piano long after you plucked your first Open E (or B)? Have you noticed that you need far more practice time or do the two instruments complement each other very well (i.e. Understanding of Harmony or Sight-reading).

Any thoughts are appreciated ...

2. Rob, I've just finished my Class Piano 1 class at school 25+ years after first playing Bass..and almost 30 years after I was playing guitar.
    I was the oldest guy in the class, but the class jets you through every part of the way through music theory(in a hurry).
    Pentachords/Melody/Harmony/Scales/Arpeggios/etc are not only learned but applied.
    I've indeed liked the class enough to pursue Class Piano II....as well as a Hardcore Theory Class..and a Jazz Class as well.
    This class not only has helped me in Theory end of things, but has become my main composing tool.
    The class has also breathed life into my bass playing, but I'm hearing/seeing/thinking quite differently than before.
    I only wish that I would have taken up Piano 30+ years ago instead of guitar.

3. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Sounds interesting....
    Where can i find more info on rockschool?
  4. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Ah shucks...too far for me.

Maybe this will be a good excuse to make use of my Irish Citizenship and have an extended stay there :eek:
  5. Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Dec 11, 2003
    Hey rodoherty1,

I have played piano for ages and then picked up the bass. I think the piano is a good choice to learn theory with because you can play chords and accompany yourself, getting a really good feel for the concepts and their application (especially how different scales and modes relate to chords, obviously.)
    I think that any foray into another instrument can only help you understanding of music itself - go for it!
  6. You could mail them and ask if they are affiliated with a California based College? The Rockschool exams are set by the Trinity College London who are an internationally recognised examination body? Just a thought ...