Learning piano, how to get started?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by salmon256, Dec 8, 2021.

1. salmon256

salmon256

Jul 10, 2021
    NY
    Hello TB!

More crazy questions from me! I wanted to ask, how should I get started learning piano as a bassist? I've been stuck between learning some tenor banjo or piano (I know crazy mix XD) and decided I'll start with piano. What did you all do? Should I get lessons or go self taught? I want to keep bass as my main but would be cool to learn some basic piano work...!

Thank you all for your tips, have a great day and bless week!!!

2. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Beginning Piano for Adults, Jane and James Bastien.

3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I asked a pro jazz guy how best to learn to read music and get some theory, he said find a piano teacher who takes on adults.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Back in the early '60s my younger brother started learning classical piano. Soon after my parents started me with lessons on accordion. I started myself on piano using my knowledge of the accordion right hand techinque and figured out my own left hand method. Spin ahead several decades to three years ago when I had a minor stroke that effected my right side and eliminated piano from my repetoire. I miss it.

I recommend using either a live teacher or on line instruction.

5. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    I took a class at the community college.

Killing Floor likes this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Would absolutely take in person lessons. There’s nothing wrong with being a beginner. Piano is a pretty simple instrument in a few ways and it’s a very complex instrument in some ways. Having a set of eyes and hands and ears to keep your learning constrained is priceless. Plus there is some accountability to practice.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022