Learning properly?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by antt, Jan 23, 2003.

1. antt

Jan 22, 2003
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I was just wondering about your opinion about learning a song properly. I mean it's fairly easy to learn to play a song, but is it really important to nail every goddamn ghost note, or should you try to learn as many songs as possible instead..?

Take it easy..
  2. R_Jones

Jan 10, 2003
    New England
    this is just how I do it... and I'm a total noob.

I learn several songs in a night. I don't have them perfect, but I have the general progression and timing.

then I spend the next few nights practicing them like mad until they're absolutely perfect.

Basically, I get bored quickly if I focus on one thing and I wind up moving along before I have the song at a point where I feel comfortable with it. So learning a bunch of songs at once and then working on them all gives me some variety and a better understand of the technique.

I suppose you could work at it any way you want to and achieve the same result, but this is how I do it.
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It all depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you're working with a tribute band, you really ought to be seeking note for note accuracy - if you're jamming around, then just understanding the way the song fits together and knowing the distinctive bass riffs might be enough.

With my present band, I try to learn the songs reasonably accurately from the recording then see what direction they take when we get together to try them. That may end up quite different to the original but it's good to have a foundation to build on.

ps. shouldn't this be under General Instruction?
  4. antt

Jan 22, 2003
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Maybe so.. but I was going to have chicken stew so i didnt have time to change.. er..
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Moved to General Instruction.