Learning scales=fun?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by deadweeds, Dec 28, 2002.

1. deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Is it just me or are learning scales sometimes not fun or a little frustrating?I have a thirst for knowledge but sometimes learning something can be a chore....any advice or motivation for myself and others that may have a similiar problem??:confused:
  2. I know what thats like!!

Here's what to do though - listen to Stu Hamm, Victor Wooten, and Jaco... Even Flea, and listen to that bass... How would you like to play that stuff?

3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Try playing scales in different intervals than 2nds. Play them in ascending/descending thirds, fourths, fifths, sixths... Also try playing them in triads, 4-note arpeggios...
  4. just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    I loved theory at first.

It gets boring sometimes I know.

It's just like anything else, if you want to get better, you have to work at it. It might not be something you have to do, but it will make you better, and you have to think of what it will do for you long term.
  5. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Good advice. :)

Also, don't forget to balance yourself out with your practice routine. Set aside some "fun time". Learn a song you've been wanting to learn, etc. For some motivation, listen to something completely different, something fresh. It will open up a whole new world.
  6. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    One of my pet peeves about music instruction is you will be told: 'Practice scales and use a metronome', but will not be told how, or really even why. Think of scales as licks. There are simple licks that everyone is familiar with, such as a 2 octave scales, various 2,3,4,n note sequences, arpeggios, ... When you practice scales, compose your exercises. Try to get the sound of all of the intervallic relationships inherent in the collection of notes that are in the scale you are practicing. Scale study this way is a lifelong exercise and is more than just bumping the metronome up a notch each week until you can do 16ths as 205BPM. If you let your scale practice become mechanical such that your mind and ears are elsewhere and only muscle memory is exercised, scale practice is going to be a chore.
  7. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    I think that Pacman posted a way of practicing scales from the bottom of the bass to the top. It's probably in the FAQ.

Practicing scales (and scale patterns) on electric fretted bass IMO isn't THAT important since the shape and intonation will always be the same, so practicing as Pacman advises is a good idea. Working on chords is pretty nifty too, like , whenever you learn a new scale, learn the chord(s) that go with it.

Of course singing intervals before you playe them is very good too.