Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Learning Scales in Staff notation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by King David, Jun 1, 2001.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I am wanting to learn the notes for scales and keys for every key. I know the finger patters, but I would like to have a good scale sheet in standard staff notation. Does anybody know of one. Tab just is not for me. I can read trebble, but bass requires time for me to translate. Can anyone help me?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The folowing book has "180 essential" bass scales written in standard notation and tab:

"The Gig Bag Book of Bass Scales" by Joe Dineen and Mark Bridges, AMsco Publications, 175 pages, spiral bound. $11.95

Still, I'm not sure from what you wrote if you prefer standard notation in trebel cleff or in bass clef. If you want scales wriiten in trebel clef, almost any basic keyboard book will have what you want.

3. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I guess that may have been confusing. I meant that I learned trebble cleff, and i want to learn bass cleff. I can do it if I think about it, but I want it to be more automatic, and I also want to the learn the fretboard and keys better. I believe this would do the trick.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Let me suggest two excellent books that will help you.

"Mel Bay's Complete Jazz Bass Book," by Earl Gately, $19.95

Don't let the "jazz" scare you. This book starts out with an excellent, systematic approach to teaching the reading of standard notation together with fretboard familiarization, moving progressively from position to position. The book's emphasis is jazz, but what is presented will help you in virtually any style of music.

It also introduces theory, a little at a time.

The second book is:

"Note Reading Studies for Bass," by Arnold Evans. $9.95, Mel Bay Publishing,77 pages

This book starts out very simply with whole notes, building up gradually to highly complex rhythms. It has just the most basic theory. The drills are in a variety of styles such as funk, reggae, country and pop.

Either of these two books will be of tremendous assistance to your goal of learning to read bass clef.

5. Your Majesty! ;)

You might also go to

www.playthebass.com

That site has some printable flashcards that are helping me trememndously is getting my reading skill back up. Every note on the staff for two octaves (to E above middle C). There are also flashcards for key signatures.

6. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Just get a theory book or something, I am in the school band at school, and I found that doing theory with a more conventional direction helps me a lot. The book I used started at quarter notes, then went through both treble and bass clefs, so now I can read both with efficiency, although I still read bass better, I can now read treble fairly well. I can't remember the name of the book and I had to turn it in at the end of the semester so I can't help you with whick one to get.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    "The Bass Guitar Scale Manual" is a great book with alot of scales, and many progressions to practice them in.